1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

General thoughts

Discussion in 'Death and Life After Death' started by Owen Proudfoot, Apr 6, 2020.

1. I am a long-term practising Christian. My faith means a lot to me. I love life and am in no hurry for it to end. I believe in eternal life. Sometimes I wonder if when I reach the afterlife God would let me cease to exist if I decided that's what I wanted but he not I would make the decision. I am open to the belief that I may not have this option. It's something I've been thinking about.

bluebird likes this.
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

welcome to ALF :)

This website is predicated on the very simple notions that we survive the death of our physical bodies and we are eternal beings. Both those notions are taught by many teachers and guides widely considered to be spiritually advanced and authoritative.

After corporeal death one's spirit lives on unfettered by the many constraints it experienced when animating a physical body. This takes place naturally and is that situation is often called 'the afterlife'. None of us will ever "cease to exist" - we're eternal. God neither grants nor denies us that - it is as it is. I suspect that's not a teaching found in Christianity.

3. Yes. I agree. I'm sorry. I have been deviating a bit. I need to go back to basics.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

That's not a problem. :)

By the way, for confidentiality I've changed your location to make it less specific.

5. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

I am
    I am agnostic/atheist, both regarding a god and regarding an afterlife, and I have thought about and wondered the same thing (whether it's possible, and whether god would "allow" it, if there is a god).

I don't know the answer, but in my opinion, if we truly have free will, then that includes the choice/option to cease to exist altogether. However, as mac said, it may just be part of the nature of our existence that we cannot end it.

6. i joined this website because i have a big fear of dying. i mean, how can anyone sane not want to exist? even insects run from impending doom. its not natural to not want to exist. i am absolutely positively thankful for GOD giving me life, but i am so freaking scared to die. i need a guide. even atheists are not as scared as me who knows GOD is real and exists. i feel ashamed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  7. mac

mac Staff Member

Welcome to ALF but we're sorry to see you here for those reasons. It's not clear how best we might try to help you other than firstly to try to reassure you that your ideas about death and especially about fearing death are shared by many others.

Why not take a look round at the forums and the threads in them and then let's take it from there, should we?