1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Forgot To Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Wanttobelieve, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanttobelieve

Wanttobelieve New Member

I am sorry. :)

I am female, 43 years old, single, no kids. I live in Vienna and my mothers tongue is German.

I have a degree in biology/botany at the University of Vienna and I work as biology teacher in a Viennese school.

My Dad died two years ago. I miss him very, very much. Life has lost its sense without him. It would be really great to reunite with my family in the afterlife. I want to believe in this!

But I´m a sceptic. I do not believe in any god (which one?). You might call me an ecological pantheist. I know that some of my molecules will be reborn as a tree, because my ashes will be buried under a tree. (Together with my Dad´s ashes.)

I think there is a small possibility that a "soul" might exist, because deathbed phenomena are obviously real. These phenomena IMO cannot be a direct product of evolution, because people did not die of old age in earlier times. Most died young, from wounds, child birth or infections.

There more I read, the more I lose this small believe in an afterlife. It is a pity.

Kurt likes this.
  2. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Hey welcome back! I can’t really relate science to something that is metaphysical in nature such as the afterlife. But there are some members on here as you have seen, that are looking for scientific proof.

I wish you well on your search.

Kurt likes this.
  3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Clearly you are reading the wrong things.

We would love to be able to help you, but you don't seem to want our help; you seem instead to want to talk to yourself in our threads, confirming to yourself that whatever narrow beliefs you have personally developed are true. And - sorry - we are about objective truth here, not your personal self-affirming beliefs.

Now, dear Wanttobelieve, I hope that you will prove that I am wrong in what I've said here about you!

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

Firstly there is no need to say you are sorry - for what?

You are not novel or unique in being a sceptic. Your desire to believe isn't one that I personally share - belief is a poor substitute for knowing and understanding that we survive the death of our bodies.

You seem to set great store by your academic qualifications but they are unlikely to help you much to learn about survival and afterlife issues - absolutely none of the simple teachings and abundant evidence supporting those notions need high levels of academic ability. An open but questioning mind is much more likely to be helpful.

5. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Wanttoeblieve,

I understand and share your doubts. I truly hope there is an afterlife, because I need to be with my beloved husband again.

I am agnostic/atheist, but I don't think it is necessary to have a belief in a god or gods in order to have a belief in the afterlife ( I am also agnostic regarding the possible existence of an afterlife, but that is another, albeit somewhat related, matter).

May I ask what you have been reading that has increased your disbelief? Personally I have not found any writing, by anyone, to be wholly persuasive regarding the existence of an afterlife, but then different people have different levels of and criteria for belief. I have, however, found some books to be more comforting than others, even though they do not provide proof of an afterlife (there's one in particular I'm thinking of, but I cannot remember the name, and google didn't help).

In any case -- you will find many different people here, of varying beliefs. Feel free to message me via this site if you wish.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

You've been a registered member of ALF since August 2018 and were posting over a four month period. Why would you think there was a need to introduce yourself now, 6 months after you first registered?

PoeticBlue had earlier welcomed you back and although your username seemed familiar I didn't think to check - until just now - when you'd actually joined.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Kurt likes this.
  7. poeticblue

poeticblue member

As some folks may have noticed, I try to pay attention towards the dates on this forum. Timelines are very important to take into consideration when it comes to posting and responding.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.