1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Finding My Spirit Guide

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Matthew, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Hello. A few week’s ago I finished The Fun of Dying. I’ve purchased Roberta’s other books: The Fun of Staying in Touch, The Fun it Growing Forever, and Liberating Jesus. I am currently reading Liberating Jesus and then will finish the next two.

With that said, I’m looking for suggestions on literature that will walk me through finding my spirit guide. I’m not sure if it’s in either of the above books that I haven’t read yet. If so, great! I’m in a transitional time period right now and really need some direction. So, for that reason I think it’s very important for me to connect with my spirit guide. I’ve also been praying the exact gratitude affirmations that Roberta said lead her to writing her books.

To be a bit more specific, basically I’m very unhappy at my job due to a toxic boss. I’ve had bad bosses before, but he takes the cake by far. I work a desk job as a corporate paper pusher and feel not only like my gifts aren’t being used, but also like there is a lot more I can be contributing to the world. I’ve been getting the sense lately that I could possibly make a living doing one of my talents: oil painting, music, or writing.

I’m at a real crossroads where I don’t know which to pursue. The trouble is I find myself jumping between different ideas rather than staying focused on one. I have what I feel are a lot of good ideas in each of those areas. So, it makes it difficult. I need to stay focused on one talent/task, but I feel I don’t have any confirmation on which it should be. I’m open to any suggestions or even basic advice.

PS - I tried to search for this topic in the forum, but had trouble finding anything on it. I apologize if this is a repost it I have put this in the wrong forum.

Thank you in advance! I’ll definitely be coming back to this thread.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

welcome to ALF :)

There's a lot to say on this topic and it's one where there's been various conversations or at least where the topic's mentioned. (Search Results for Query: spirit guide | Afterlife Forums - ALF)

In general terms - not specifically in the context of your posting or anyone else's - my view is that the role of a 'spirit guide' may be mistaken for that of a personal guru. Based on what I've learned, a guide usually operates 'behind the scenes' to carry out her/his role. My opinion is that it's very much the exception knowing who one's spirit guide is and/or having conscious contact with him/her.

After my 'awakening' over three decades ago I similarly faced a dilemma at my workplace with uncertainty what direction I should take. Wanting to be open to any spiritual guidance I might be getting (I'd read about that stuff!) I asked my circle leader what he thought. His reply was that his way was just to get on with life in the way he decided he should go and he didn't worry about trying to remain open to any (supposed) guidance. I've often repeated this example over the 30 odd years I've been doing this stuff and I still apply his principle to myself.

In my view any guidance we need will be provided (mostly) without our conscious awareness, probably while we're asleep and visiting the etheric dimensions. My guess is that few of us will ever recall what happens there and neither are we meant to. ;) :D

3. Thanks for your input Mac. And I apologize I didn’t reply sooner. I tried to but kept getting an error message when I hit the reply button. I hadn’t realized it’s more of a rarity to have some sort of direct contact with your spirit guide. I guess I’m just having a really hard time figuring out what to do right now. I understand that you are saying more or less to do what my heart tells me, but I’m getting really mixed signals. I feel like I need some sort of sign or something. I know Roberta has made mention of receiving signs or signals. I really hope I get something soon that makes me feel comfortable on making a decision. If there is any material or books on recongnizing things like that, I’d definitely be interested. I know this basically reads as a post where I can’t make my own decision, but I really don’t know what to do. I’m so confused. Maybe that’s the point of it? Maybe I’m supposed to realize it doesn’t matter? It feels like I’m ready to jump off a cliff (not literally). Thanks.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

I don't know what stopped you replying, Matthew. Nothing in the website's software should cause a problem but it appears things are working OK now so maybe you had a local phone/computer/tablet issue.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all saw recognisable signs guiding us the correct way forward but that's not why we're here as incarnates and it's not the way things work - at least not for everyone, myself included! I do understand how you feel - been there, done that. I think one of the issues is when we read how some others have had signs and we then feel we should be getting them too.

As a slight aside I was watching the true-story movie 'Philomena' yesterday where a mother is looking for the baby who was taken from her by nuns when she had her child 'out of wedlock'. She's in the US with a reporter who locates the man who had been the child 'taken' as a baby and adopted. But the man had died years earlier and there could be no joyful reunion for the mother, now distraught and desperate to return to her home in Ireland. She was sitting in the airport waiting for her flight when she tells her reporter companion she's changed her mind and wants to stay longer. The reason - she explained - was that she'd been waiting for a sign about what to do but as none was forthcoming she'd taken the decision for herself.

OK that's a long story but it's the way I see life. We are here to make our own decisions.

baob likes this.