1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

emoticons?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, May 22, 2018.

1. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I was listening this morning to a Radio 4 programme on our BBC radio. The interviewee mentioned that humans can sometimes run into problems when using gestures that mean different things in different social groups - offence can unexpectedly be caused. It made me wonder if the emoticons available on this website are interpreted in the same way by our members.

Has anyone found someone else's use of a particular emoticon annoying or upsetting because of its association for them? Are there any you particularly dislike or that you avoid using? If so, why?

2. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I always liked the emoticons here. I think they are great choices. They can help showcase someones personality or sense of humor.

I always laugh whenever someone uses the ;) :D,:mad:,or the o_O. Personally, I was never thrown off by one. If I did not understand the meaning, I waved the mouse over it to see. (This was useful, since when I first got here, I saw o_O ;) and thought people were being sarcastic or condescending. I decided to get to know the place better and I did, eventually realizing it was humor/personality & now I just laugh along!)

Personally, I try to avoid the :oops: only because it's too girly as archaic as that may sound to some of the younger members.

:p is the other one, since I have always held this fear that if I am not serious it will result in danger to myself.

Beyond that? Nope. I love the emoticons.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    pandora97 likes this.
  3. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Mac, no problem here. Perhaps I'd be a bit concerned with people of other cultures who may interpret them differently. However, I don't think we have a lot of multiculturalism here, lol
    There is one emoticon in particular that I wish we added to the choices here on ALF, though I think I might end up using it too much! It's the little man tapping its foot, usually meant for impatience, or "would you mind explaining that?"

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

It's good that neither of you are concerned about the emoticons (emojis???) usedon ALF. On one occasion someone was upset about a wink image similar, or the same as, this one. ;) The individual thought they were being mocked because a wink had been added to a posting but there was no such intention.

I'm a little cautious about using this one :p because sticking your tongue out can be seen as a rude gesture where I come from - if I use that image it's usually meant to poke fun at myself.

The eye-rolling image :rolleyes: is a powerful one and I use it sparingly but deliberately in conjunction with very direct comments about matters I find serious enough to need them.

pandora97 and Kurt like this.
  5. mac

I suppose there are quite a number of symbols that might be useful in various situations but my preference is for words more than symbols.

Kurt likes this.
  6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I have sometimes found the winking emoji, and occasionally one or two of the others, to be condescending or mocking -- but only when I was nearly certain that the poster actually intended it to be taken that way (such as from some of the troll members we've had here). For me, at least, it really all depends on the member who is posting.

pandora97 and Kurt like this.
  7. mac

Perhaps emoticons need to be used with care and better to express our thoughts primarily in words?

Kurt likes this.
  8. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

I agree with bluebird......depends on who is posting and the full content of the post.

IMO both can be misinterpreted.:)

9. mac

That's a good point and it goes for the spoken word too....