1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

ego

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by jimrich, Sep 29, 2018.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear friends, I'm not sure that it even is possible to do ACIM successfully without a study group! I know just one person who seems to have nailed it all on her own; I know I couldn't have succeeded. It isn't just that this is VERY advanced spiritual learning and it can be hard even to understand the concepts at any depth without a study group to help you think it through, but also as you are nearing the point of vanquishing the ego it fights back hard with an awful, core-deep, panicky fear. That is when you need the support of your fellow study group members, because everything in you makes you want to stop this right now and forget it all happened!

Most Unity Churches have ACIM study groups, but to give everyone the chance to do it right what probably is needed is a network of online Zoom study groups. I'll look into it!

Nirvana, Kurt and pandora97 like this.
  2. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

Most Unity Churches have ACIM study groups, but to give everyone the chance to do it right what probably is needed is a network of online Zoom study groups. I'll look into it![/QUOTE]

Thank you very much Roberta! Any help is always appreciated. :)

Kurt likes this.
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana Active Member

Roberta does seem like an egoless person in this video interview :

I believe her

Kurt likes this.
  4. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Ok, before I started reading Pandora's book recommendation, I was trying to combat the negative thoughts by pushing positive ones. I found it to be particularly difficult doing it this way. Now I am simply focusing on other things when a thought enters my noggin.

It is surprisingly easier than I thought. I just focus on my surroundings and soon the thoughts disappear.

Not that new pesky thoughts don't pop up in its place. haha I'm feeling more peaceful being able to not dwell or building simple thoughts into complex reality. I think just being aware of what is happening is a game changer for me. :)

Kurt likes this.
  5. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Well that's good to hear! :)

Kurt likes this.
  6. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Thanks Mac! It's weird in that it is almost like an eternal battle with yourself. haha I imagine like many things it gets much easier as time passes.

Also, I am starting to understand how people can react so differently to the same event. I couldn't fathom some of what I considered extreme reactions, but now I can see how our thoughts can fester and grow into something extreme. It makes it a lot easier to not pass judgement knowing we are all the same in that regards.

Kurt likes this.
  7. pandora97

How wonderful! :) I however am still struggling:rolleyes:;)

Kurt likes this.
  8. innerperson

innerperson New Member

It's still a struggle for me as well. :) Actively trying to not pay attention to thoughts can get tiresome. haha Like I said to Mac, I suspect it will get a lot easier after some time. I am very new to all of this, but always enjoyed learning and this has been a lot of fun.

Kurt likes this.
  9. pandora97

There's so much information out there in so many places...….I can't for the life of me figure out how I could have gone this long without knowing any of it...…..!o_O

Kurt likes this.
  10. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Cyber space isn't the easiest of places when you don't know what you're looking for - or even that you ought to be looking in the first place.
    It was tough locating information before the World Wide web existed, even when you knew what you were looking for. It became less tough as the web grew larger and search engines became better at searching the reapidly growing database of information of all kinds.

But now the sheer volume of hits when searching can be daunting, needing time and persistence to wade through searching for what's mos relevant.

Kurt likes this.
  11. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Agreed. I imagine in the 70s a 300 volume collection was a blessing to narrow.

Modern times?.... 300Bn? Your going to lose around 10% of the most relevant, reliable and ephiphany inducing information available....

12. pandora97

Yes! Just looking on Amazon at the hundreds of books pointing in so many directions...………:confused: The most difficult issue to deal with is trying to determine what is legitimate information and what's hogwash:(

Kurt likes this.
  13. pandora97

Kurt....….knock it off, please.:rolleyes:

Kurt likes this.