1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

ego

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by jimrich, Sep 29, 2018.

1. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Welcome back Kurt;)

Kurt likes this.
  2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

These are all human terms, and terms of convenience. None is the eqo in spiritual terms.

Kurt and kim marine like this.
  3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

And the ways humankind tends to use words or terms are detailed in dictionaries. How many speak about 'ego' in spiritual terms rather than the dictionary-definition way is uncertain. ;)

Kurt likes this.
  4. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

All language and terms are "terms of convenience". That's how language works, to convey meaning. For most people, the primary meaning of the word "ego" is probably the way Freud meant it, or close to that. Again, it's just one way to refer to the "I", to the self. There is nothing inherently wrong with the ego; it's only bad when a person lets those things for which the ego is considered responsible run rampant -- doing things just to fulfill the "I" in selfish, short-term ways (addiction, not caring about the feelings of others, etc.).

Nirvana and Kurt like this.
  5. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Thanks for welcoming me back. I swear, sports bars in the night life areas are are cess pools of negative energy.

6. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Only if you're supporting the losing team!:p:D

Kurt likes this.
  7. Nirvana

Nirvana Active Member

Meditation/Self-Inquiry is crucial for fixing/quieting the ego

8. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

True. But for some reason everyone was cool with me. I only had 1 argument with an old drunk guy.

Everywhere else, I was willing to have actual discourse.

I brought a poster home for free.

I was going on about free food, free posters and a free ppv to my roommates.

I billed it as

"ALL THIS MCGREGOR FOR FREE!!!"

And they were so jealous, they could not see why I was mad.