1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

ego

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by jimrich, Sep 29, 2018.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

The history of the separation illusion is a long and complicated one. I don't have time to go into it now, but just suffice it to say that there IS an illusion, and that in truth there is only one of us here, as they say in ACIM. And that one of us here is you.

2. Nirvana

Nirvana Regular Contributor

I'm happy that Roberta agrees that Eckhart Tolle's anti-ego teachings resonate with the Master's :)

3. mac

mac Staff Member

I used to think similarly about the last points but now I think they're wrong.

bluebird likes this.
  4. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Agreed. I definitely do not believe that I am the sum total of my ancestors. They are them, and I am me. We may be connected and/or similar (at least some of us may be, in some ways -- though we may be in no way connected to some other ancestors/relatives, other than genetically), but we are not the same being, and each person is much more than simply the sum total of her/his ancestors.

mac likes this.
  5. To me, the "ego" can refer to many things, but in the context of spirituality it is just a piece of the self that constitutes primitive animal/primate drives that have a strong tendency to disconnect an individual from their truer self and the whole of higher consciousness. The ego can die without the self actually dying, and it's "death" is initiated by shedding of the underlying fear/insecurities/obsessions that promulgates unloving, anti-spiritual behavior. I think that the ego can definitely come back, as I've experienced both ego death, and a return of the ego as a result of repeated trauma and having an excess fear of never being loved, of being a failure, etc., that reemerged with the ego. Also people tend to take advantage of my ego-less tendencies (which causes me to be more egoistic for protective means). I don't think it dies indefinitely until actual death of the body. What I have noticed about the ego in general is that it is primarily driven by fear, an existential fear that drives us to gain power and control over what it is that we are fearful of. This power and control dynamic manifests in a multitude of ways such as corporate greed, war, human trafficking and exploitation, domestic violence, and plain old narcissism. General fear and anger still have important survival and social functions, so again I don't think ego ever "dies" just that the strength of it drops below a threshold in which it no longer becomes the primary influence over our behavior. We basically tame our "monkey" so to speak. Letting go of the ego doesn't mean we destroy the self or fail to protect it, but it's very important to communicate needs and enforce boundaries/rules/contingencies, as being completely selfless can lead to neglecting oneself, being harmed/taken advantage of or things such as codependency. It's about maintaining a balance.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    baob likes this.