1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

ego

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by jimrich, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

I wouldn't have connected stress and fears with having ego, as ego suggests confidence to me. I'll have to look at the blog!

2. kim

kim Regular Contributor

The ego is not who we are. We are spiritual beings having a physical experience.

3. poeticblue

poeticblue member

I say just keep it simple. Our positive qualities that we have in this earth life comes from our true spiritual being. All of the negative aspects come from simply being human. Throw out the word ego.

Convolution and kim like this.
  4. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

I think that does help set things in a clearer direction.
    But how do you then define positive vs negative?

Would you say positive actions/choices/thoughts are those whose motivations get you closer to unconditional love -for yourself and others- whereas negative ones get you further from it?
    Is that how you would define each?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. poeticblue

poeticblue member

I couldn’t give you a clear definition since I’m not much of a guru when it comes to the technicalities of ego. However the way you put it made sense to me :)

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Oh Kim, I am so glad!!

7. kim

kim Regular Contributor

The statement that grabbed me is at 6:43-7:00, our body is the unconscious mind? Pretty neat when you think about it. The whole video is good!:)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  8. kim

kim Regular Contributor

Is this analogous to "crucifying the flesh?"

9. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Good grief, no. That is an appalling religious term! Your ego is a non-material component that your earth-mind takes on as it enters your body. It is concomitant with the body, but not a part of it.

10. kim

kim Regular Contributor

Thanks Roberta, I was just wondering. I forgot to consider the non-material part. Consciousness gives us what we want, I guess, and is that why the belief that we are separate is so hard-wired into many people? They just can't give it up?