1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

driving our bodies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Jul 9, 2018.

1. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Here's one for the seekers who are persuaded about survival, leaning towards the likelihood of reincarnation and have heard about healing. The thought came to me today after speaking to friends and neighbors struggling with different health issues.

We're taught that our spirit provides the 'life-energy' for our bodies - I usually say our spirit animates them but the exact word hardly matters. Without our spirits our bodies have no life. Moving on now, if we accept the notion of reincarnation, with perhaps numerous lifetimes in this world, it could be argued that with experience we - our spirit 'we' - become increasingly comfortable living in physical bodies the more incarnations we experience. Put slighly jokingly we get better at 'driving' them, controlling them. And it's these aspects that I've been considering for a long time. As our spirits animate our bodies, perhaps the more lifetimes they experience the better our spirits become at controlling all the mechanisms running in the background all the time?

We simply don't know how one's spirit interacts with its body or whether it controls it entirely. Might it be that in our very first incarnation our spirits learn during the early time before birth, maybe continuing for some time after, how to control the processes our scientists now know much about? Might it also be that in subsequent incarnations our spirits use what they learned in their previous lives to better control their new bodies? We marvel at folks who live to great ages, perhaps with wonderful health. Or we envy those who die quietly in their sleep after a long, fulfilling life. Might they be spirits who have vast experience of animating human forms over many incarnations, developing their abilities with every incarnation?

Perhaps for opposite reasons some folk encounter ill health that can't be explained, children who suffer with rare cancers and perhaps die young? Or others who experience numerous illness throughout their lives, taking medicines and undergoing treatments to try to give them some quality of life as we see things. Are they as-yet inexperienced souls who are 'learning to drive' their still-unfamiliar bodies and suffering the effects of their inexperience?

Is all that a possibility?

2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Intriguing idea, mac. I don't see why it shouldn't be considered as one possibility.

3. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken, mac, but as I read your post I gather you suggest it's possible for humans to experience early death and various serious illnesses such as cancers because of inexperience navigating the human body vessel.

I agree with bb, it is a possibility. However, how about other "explanations"?
    There are people who believe we plan our earthly experiences while in our true Home; we incarnate because we have lessons to learn. There are people who suggest that our earthly experiences have something (or all) to do with karma.
    Do you think it possible that "inexperienced drivers" could be what some refer to as "young souls"? (Dr. Newton's "Journey of Souls" comes to mind). I have a problem with the concept of "young souls", but that's a different topic, I suppose!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. mac

yes - That's what I'm suggesting :) You could view learning to drive our bodies as the very first, traumatic
    experience of many in this crackpot world..... :D

I'm open to alternative explanations, possibilities, but I don't agree we "have lessons to learn". My approach is that we learn, we progress along our spiritual journey, by the experiences we have. That's not exactly similar to the implications of 'lessons to learn'. BUT I do accept that we plan SOME of our earth experiences - eventually. Why do I say that?

Well in the first instance I see merit in the notion that we have more than one 'life in-the-body', the notion of reincarnation. If that's truly the situation then I think it's logical that we might enter this dimension for the first time without the benefit of similar experience gained in another physical dimension. If that's so then as 'first-timers' we'll be dipping our toes into this bizarre world without much idea of what we'll encounter. Again logically for me, we'd be helped and guided before that event. Helped to pick a 'starter-life' as one stage of the process of spiritual progression on the odyssey back whence we came - another worthy conversation.

So for that first lifetime, and maybe some subsequent ones, I suggest we'll not so much plan our earthly existences as be guided towards general experiences, the stuff that most humans experience. As we gain understanding from the experiences we have in those lifetimes we become better equipped to choose what we'd like to experience and/or learn in subsequent lifetimes.

A confusing and confused notion heavily colored by various religions, faiths and beliefs. ;)

No and 'young souls' is a misnomer anyway. My tongue-in-cheek term 'inexperienced drivers' term relates specifically to the way we interact with our peculiar physical bodies in this peculiar physical dimension. Souls or spirits are eternal no matter what form they may have at any stage of the journey - they're never young and never old. ;)

quite!

ravensgate likes this.
  5. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

I'm not sure how this fits but I'd just like to interject with a bit of information that was relayed to me by my sister-in-law. In fact her experience is what started me on my search for answers on the afterlife. I know I've mentioned it on the forum before in another thread, but my son died at the age of 15. He died from a cancerous brain tumor.

Anyway, my sister-in-law was out with friends from work one evening and had a brief session with a medium at a restaurant. I won't get specific about the whole experience but the medium was communicating with my son and told my sil that he was "an old soul". Based on the circumstances surrounding this encounter and everything that was conveyed to my sil, I'm convinced it was my son that she connected with that evening.

Also, wouldn't Mikey Morgan be considered an "old soul" and yet his last incarnation was very short lived?

6. mac

Not an interjection - you're just joining this conversation and it's good to see you again back on ALF. :)

The term 'old soul' is one that's been around a long time. As I mentioned earlier it's a bit of a misnomer but it's commonly used in the sense of a spirit individual who's lived in this dimension over a long period, through many incarnations. I have no reason to doubt that your son may indeed be just such an individual but there's no easy way to know. I don't have any insight into whether the medium was communicating with your son but what matters is that you are happy that it was. I hope you hear from him again. :)

You're right that Mikey Morgan would indeed be seen as an 'old soul'. From what he told Carol, his mom, he came back after his last, short life in this world to communicate through her in order to provide information for us in this world about his world. His story is told in 'Flying High In Spirit'. Members here at the time his mom was a regular contributor will remember her many postings on ALF pages. I miss them both.

GoldDustWoman622 and ravensgate like this.
  7. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Actually, I never left.:) I'm just not checking in as often with the warmer weather. Also, when I do check in to see what's going on if I don't feel I can add anything to the conversation, I try to keep my mouth shut!:D:p

8. mac

No I meant it's nice to see you back writing.... I didn't think you had left but you hadn't posted for a time. :)

Summer changes many folk's habits and it's been very quiet here on ALF for quite some time. Fall will likely see a change in pace, a pattern I've often seen. The winter months finds folk more at home and also indoors with more inclination to go online it appears.

pandora97 likes this.