1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Dreams

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by janef, Dec 31, 2013.

1. I get very similar dreams, they are my favorite. The house is an older house that I recently moved into, and I discover another wing to it filled with antique furniture and all sorts of interesting things to explore. I am always alone in these dreams, and am always amazed at how creative I can be in these dreams as the hidden rooms are so detailed with cool stuff to explore.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

2. That only works for a little while. The good news is that they do become adults eventually, and often quite charming ones. It's hard to imagine when they are in the throes of adolescence.

As soon as I typed up the dream about having many rooms, it was clear to me that it is an analogy for life's many opportunities and possibilities. Most of us explore only a fraction of our potential, due to limitations on our time, energy and imagination.

3. In all fairness to them, I've been blessed with two of the nicest kids in the world. The oldest, Michael just made the National Merit Scholar finals list, the youngest Kelly, is hot on his tail just being singled out to represent her 8th grade class. But even good teenagers are challenging, especially since they are my step children. Being a step parent has some unique challenges that I am still learning about and accepting. But I was quite a handful as a teenager, so maybe what goes around does indeed come around...

vic

4. Last night I dreamed about my mother again.

I actually rarely dream about her, although she is often an unseen presence -- I have to finish a task before she arrives, or something like that. But recently I dreamed about her just the day before her sister died, as I recounted in another thread. She visited me, and we talked in a sort of casual but civil manner.

Last night I dreamed that I was confronting her about all the different things she had done that hurt me and our family. She mostly just shrugged these things off, or laughed at me for being so sensitive, or she physically pushed me away or grabbed my arm to try to get me to be quiet. She thought I was weak to have been hurt by things she did. I tried to say that I was not weak, and that I have done well in life in spite of her but she didn't really care.

This dream doesn't have any really subtle images or metaphors. It's pretty much how my mother was and how she would be if she were alive and we could have such a conversation. I don't feel any particular need to confront her or get anything from her, although I often wonder how she is doing in the afterlife and what it's like for her to be trying to learn whatever she was supposed to learn from being such a mean person.

Anyway, I've been debating with myself whether this dream is just my brain reviewing some old business, or whether this was some sort of visitation, in which I was actually speaking with my mother in the afterlife. Normally ADCs and visitation dreams are all loving and positive -- this one was not, although it was honest and I was no longer afraid of her, and it seems logical that being confronted with her impact on others would be part of her "healing" process now that she's passed on.

Opinions?

5. If I had to take a guess, I would call it a small dream rather than a visitation, mostly because of the negativity involved. It seems that you have unfinished business with her. May I be so bold as to suggest that you do a lovingkindness meditation for her, maybe holding a picture of her in your hands as you meditate and offering the positive intention of her well-being and harmony (I think I recall that you meditate). See what happens, what emotions come up, etc.

vic

6. Nirvana

Nirvana Regular Contributor

Two nights in a row, I've awoken from vivid dreams/nightmares where I feel I'm being chased by an astral demon (?)

The first night it scared me by laughing a very ugly and frightening laugh. And then the second night it just said my name in it's hideous, menacing voice.

I hope that thing is not waiting for me after death.

Any thoughts?

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Nirvana, the evidence is overwhelming that we are very well protected in the death process and thereafter. I don't know what that is, but it may well be coming from the fears in your own mind. If it happened to me, I would (a) pray an affirmation prayer several times the next day "Thank you to my guardian angels and spirit guides for protecting me from every harm," and (b) also surround myself and fill my house with white light probably twice - once in the morning and once before going to bed (you envision a kind of liquid-y white light coming from a place between and just above your eyes). This has always worked for me in banishing negative thoughts - I think it's mind over matter, but try it!

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hi Nirvana! I'm a bit late with my response here, but I have actually heard of what you are describing.

The astral realm is, like most spiritual realms, controlled primarily by our thoughts and feelings. When we have conscious out-of-body experiences, we can purposely think positively, so as to protect ourselves. However, when this occurs while we are sleep (and it often does), our thoughts generally run rampant, which can lead to a variety of frightening experiences. There are two possibilities here: (1) your thoughts are taking to you an area filled with low-level beings or (2) your thoughts are fabricating what you are afraid of finding. The latter would be my guess. If you are afraid of finding something in the etheric realms, you will encounter it - not because it exists, but because you think it does.

If you are lucid when you experience this again, tell the being that it does not exist and that you are a powerful, eternal being under God's protection. If you say something like that, and you know it's true, that should do the trick. Good luck!