1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Dreams

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by janef, Dec 31, 2013.

1. janef

janef Moderator

I have not been remembering my dreams for quite some time, so I set an intention to have a dream that would tell me something meaningful and last nite I got it!

I pulled out a Dream book I have had for about 15 years on "Using dreams to tap the wisdom of the unconscious" called "Where People Fly and Water Runs Uphill" by Jeremy Taylor.
    He says a dream is the "magic mirror that never lies" it can reflect the deepest truth of our lives. All dreams carry information in their metaphors and symbols. Only the dreamer can interrupt their own dream accurately, which often come in exaggerated forms. Also, all dreams have multiple meanings and layers of significance, hidden in our subconscious. It is an awesome book for anyone interested in dreamwork.

Jane

2. Thank-you for sharing this. I also have a fascination with dreams as I get lucid or 'big dreams' from time to time and have been keeping a journal of them and significant meditation experiences for about 35 years. I'm currently reading 'The Dreaming Universe' by Fred Alan Wolf Phd. It's okay. Within the past year there was someone who posted on our forum looking for people to participate in a lucid dreaming project. I signed up for it but decided not to participate after I read his requirements (lots of record-keeping that I could not commit to at that time). If you like I could dig up his email or website and PM you. He had an entire month-long program on lucid dreaming that sounded really fascinating if I could have found the time to put into it.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

3. janef

janef Moderator

Thanks Vic, if you come across his email I will check it out. I had not been keeping a journal for a long time and just started again. I took a series of Dream Workshops in the late 90's and discovered the hidden wisdom we have in our subconscious. Having an intention to get a dream with insight or answer to a problem was facinating. I began to think of it as my silent therapist. Lol.. Figuring out the meanings are a little challenging, as it is much more in the way you felt in the dream. Writing down the feelings is very revealing..... and the reason no one else can tell a person what it meant. Thanks for sharing....

4. I agree, the emotions in the dream are key. A common example is being naked in a dream - - this could be about humiliation or nonconformity or innocence or it could be erotic, It all depends on the emotions of the dreamer.

5. janef

janef Moderator

Yes, the emotions are the key.

I had a dream last nite that I was in a group of women sitting around a table in robes, some were talking. Then I noticed I had a stain on my robe, I felt embaressed and I tried to cover it up. I hadn't done anything to cause it, and I wanted to fix it. I left the table and found something to help reduce it and went back and continued on although I was still feeling uncomfortable by it.

At first this morning I had no idea what this dream was about until I started writing it down. Then it was perfectly clear.

I think you know also. The feelings are the key. A "stain" (black mark)....Embaressed because I didn't think I did anything to cause it... tried to fix it.

Dreams sure dont lie! Lol

6. It's fascinating that so many of you say that, yet the one thing that I recently noticed in my dreams is the lack of emotion on a feeling level. It's like I can be in a scene, like riding my bicycle through a bad neighborhood, and I know that there is danger, but I don't feel fear, almost as if I'm watching a video of myself, rather than actually being there. My wife on the other hand experiences very strong emotions during her dreams. Maybe it's a guy thing?

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

7. janef

janef Moderator

Maybe I should say"Feelings" are the key.

Wouldn't knowing there is danger, be a feeling about it? And not being afraid, protected or safe?

Maybe it is a guy thing...Lol my husband had a violent dream where he killed someone. I asked if he felt bad and he said no, he had no emotion whatsoever "it was either him or me!"

8. Most of my dreams are not especially emotional, and many of them don't seem very significant. I'm sure most of them are just my brain clearing up detritus from the day's events. Just a few of them feel "important" to me, and those usually have some emotional content. They also generally seem more "real" and somewhat less disjointed than the random images of a regular night.

The dream I had about the crazy pay phone where I couldn't call home -- that wasn't an especially emotional dream, I was frustrated and worried about not being able to call, but it's not like I woke up crying or something. The oddness of the dream stuck in my mind, more than the emotions in this case. But when Don said, "this is what it means," I immediately recognized that he was right.

So when trying to understand a dream, the emotions are important -- and lack of emotion may be important. It may be significant that you are in an objectively dangerous place but feel no fear. But when you find the dream's true message, it will "feel right" in the sense that you will recognize the truth of it instinctively. At least, that's been my experience.

9. Filip

Filip New Member

I have had a very strange dream last night. It was my first lucid dream!! I can recall it very clearly!
    I was in a house-unknown to me- and we were doing some work in the garden with my family.
    When we entered the house i saw my grandma-which is dead...-welcome me,and i was surprised to see her.
    It was her,no doubt about it,everything was so clear..her face,her dress,her voice!!
    We sat around the table and i talked to her,i said "How is that possible?" knowing i was dreaming!
    She said exactly those words "It's a form of communication! Everything is mind!"
    Then,i turned around,and after i returned my grandma's face had been turned into a strange creature...
    I said "No" screaming and i left... Afterwards,i was in the room with my brother,and a clock appeared out of nowhere,and started making noise...then i woke up!!
    I'm not making this up,it was as real as it gets! Do you think it could be a message?

10. janef

janef Moderator

Felip, Did it feel like a visit from your Grandma? It sounds like it may have been, as you say it was so clear. If it were my dream, the exaggerated strange creature would simply be a metaphor meaning "this is strange because she is dead", but it could mean something entirely different to you. I seem to get the meaning of my dreams better if I write them down exactly like I was feeling them in the dream.

Thanks for sharing....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014