1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreaming of a deceased loved one: what does it mean?

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by DenverGuy, Mar 24, 2018.

1. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I received an e-mail from Blair Robertson and thought I'd share it:

Visitation Dreams just happen to be one of five common signs our deceased loved ones show us.

It happens to almost everyone at one point or another. And I've got good news for you: many times those connections are real.

So the question is: how can you tell the difference between a dream and a spirit connection?

First, let's define the difference between the two.

What is the difference between a regular dream and a dream visitation?
    Regular Dreams
    Regular dreams are a naturally occurring phenomenon. Dreams tend to be complete nonsense and often weird.

You woke up and get ready for work. As you leave your house, you climb upon a giant rubber duckie and float down the street. You then actually wake up and wonder, “what the heck was that all about?”

That's a dream. Many aspects of it might seem very real and clear. Your street, your house, front door, even the giant rubber duck might have all seemed real.

But it is just nonsense.

Typically, when you “see” people in dreams, they are simply roles. Most often you don't see faces or great details. Yes, you “saw” the UPS driver drop off a package… but when you wake up, you can't remember it was a man or woman. You saw the role, not the person.

These are simply dreams. Visitation dreams are much, much different!

Visitation Dreams Characteristics
    Can dead people communicate through dreams? In my book, Afterlife, I shared how my spirit guides revealed to me that we don't dream of our loved ones.

Instead, our loved ones come to us either before or after we get into the dream state. Rather than call them visitation dreams I call them sleep connections. Big difference.

When you are asleep, your critical mind shuts down, and it leaves it free for our loved ones to easily communicate with us.

When a deceased loved one connects with us while we are sleeping, you will know it is them. It will be 100% clear.

Example from before: in a dream, you won't remember very much detail about the UPS driver coming to your door. It will just be someone delivering a package.

However, when your loved one comes to you, you will see them clear as day. You'll see all their features, all the details, and characteristics they have.

It will be just like a person standing in front of you when you are awake.

You will know it is them.

Signs Our Loved Ones Send Us
    Please remember this: there are no rules: they can talk, show signs, hug us, kiss us, give us something, trigger a memory, etc.

It's unlimited.

That said, as a spiritual advisor I find that people get upset with these connections if the dead loved one does not behave in a certain way.

“My Mom came to me and hugged me, but she didn't say anything about her granddaughter!”

Be still. Be happy that they came to you. The fact they came to you is a sign in itself and shows that love never dies. It shows they are there; they are aware of everything that goes on and love never dies.

Still Not Sure If It Is A Visitation Dream Connection?
    In my 30-years as a psychic medium, please let me share the two biggest key indicators that you had a direct communication dream visitation.

1. You'll wake up feeling like they were just standing beside you. Remember, your deceased loved ones are energy, so the feeling that “if I had have opened my eyes a moment sooner I would have seen them,” is a sure sign.

Of course, had you opened your eyes a moment earlier, you wouldn't have “caught” them. But cherish that feeling! It means they were there.

2. Your loved one will often show you a secondary sign soon after. Not always – and I'm not guaranteeing it – but it is more often true than not.

It might be a sighting of a bird, a familiar or unique sound or song, a touch, smell or taste. Be open to these.

Here's a bonus sign: do you have a pet? They often act strangely after connection. Remember, they are better at picking up on spirits than we are. After all, they haven't been “taught” that dead don't talk or appear.

Love Never Dies
    Your deceased loved ones WANT to connect with you. For almost everyone, this is one of the easiest ways to connect.

Know the difference between a real connection and a simple dream.

Once you know the difference and start trusting in the visitations, you will find that many of your loved ones will start connecting with you. Make sure you recognize the signs that your dead loved ones are sending you.

Why? Because they will know and understand that you are now an open door for them.

Your loved ones want to connect. Let them and experience the fact that love never dies.

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Thank you, DenverGuy! I would just add my own tips for discerning if something is a visitation dream sent by a dead loved one, in which the loved one was present:

1) The physics and the surrounding details feel genuine. You feel as if you are somewhere real, and your vision is as wide and complete as it is in life. (e.g. more than just a clear front door and an impression of the building, you can see the building, the lawn, the road, the distant hills, the sky - whatever you would normally see if that scene were real life.)

2) There often is a bit of a story to it. The loved one might not speak, but there often is a message beyond simply "I have survived." My best visitation dream was of a horse, a few days after his death; and it was long (for a dream), sophisticated (for a horse), and gave me a clear message.

3) They stick in your mind the way important genuine memories do. If the dream remains vivid in your mind even beyond lunchtime the following day - not a snippet or the flavor of it, but the whole dream - that is the best indication of all that it was a genuine visit from a loved one.

3. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Thanks, Roberta. I appreciate that clarification. Good points!

4. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that, DenverGuy. I have read something similar to that in the past, and it seems reasonable/possible to me.

5. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

I believe in visitation dreams and I believe I've had several.
    Robertson's book did not impress me one bit, however, and I donated it to the local library. If I remember correctly, Robertson states that our loved ones are unable to help; only our guides can help us. I disagree with this statement; I think that our loved ones can indeed be our guides. Perhaps Robertson's understanding of guides differs from mine, I don't know. It is a rather short book, with many typos... got the impression it was something put together very quickly.

I would like to add that I am growing a bit frustrated with authors, "experts" who claim "Love never dies". Yes, love never dies, love is all the counts, love is all you need, love is what the afterlife is all about. What I find missing from the conversation is that the expressions of Love are many, yet they (the authors) seem to focus on the romantic/erotic love between a man and a woman, suggesting that once we cross over, we will continue to be married to the person we lost in this life. As much as I'd like to believe that, the "evidence" I have tells me otherwise. Then again, I might be wrong :rolleyes:

Amore likes this.
  6. Maria

Maria Member

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Maria and everyone, the evidence is strong that people who were loving spouses in life will continue to live together after death. Generally the first to die will create the family's home in the Summerland - often duplicating their favorite earth-home - and although there is no marriage after death, they remain loving companions. So please, don't anyone be worried about losing the love of a beloved spouse during this brief separation! On the other hand, of course, if the marriage wasn't great, the couple aren't required by custom or convention to stay together. I'm sure there are some who will be glad to know that!

8. Maria

Maria Member

Thank you so much for your kind and reassuring advice Roberta. Reading negative accounts about the afterlife can leave you feeling very insecure and confused. It is so lovely to contemplate what you said, and something beautiful to look forward to during these dark days of grief.

9. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Maria, I go by accounts collected during PLRs and other texts. I find that Catholicism is particularly "pushy" on the idea that once married in this life we will continue as husband and wife in the afterlife, but I do not believe it. Perhaps it's because they do not believe in divorce? I have no idea.
    Frankly (and I do not mean to be a "wet blanket"), I think it is something that many/most of us would like to believe because it makes us feel better now, as we grieve and long to be reunited with our loved ones. I could very well be wrong, of course, but thus far nothing I have read or heard has been sufficient to change my mind. I think we want to take marriage (something created here on earth) and let it continue in the afterlife, a vastly different realm, really. We think we know what love and loving means, we think we have experienced it, shared it, but it appears to me that Love on this earth is nothing compared to the Love that will be shown and experienced in the afterlife.

Yes, I have heard and read about the Summerland, but, based on my readings, we do not stay there "forever". Granted, the Summerland may be the place where you continue to experience, to various degrees, what we considered the pleasures of human existence. For example, for some it may be sailing, skiing, building homes, etc. but eventually we move on.
    Imho, in the afterlife, we will experience a greater Love and unity, not only with those we lost but also with the ones who make up our soul group. It will not be an exclusive love such as we shared while on earth, as husband and wife. I may not like this at all, but this is what I believe, and just because I do not like it (I do not) does not mean it will not happen. I think Jesus said something to that effect (Matthew 22:30: "In the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage..."); this, of course, if you believe in the Bible. Also, I've sometimes wondered how a person would handle 2 or more spouses in the afterlife if that person married more than once in this incarnation... which spouse would one choose?

See, one of my problems with this type of belief is similar to the issue I have with the God myth, namely that God created man in his own image. Personally, I think that it is the other way, that man created a God similar to his own image, the image of man, a God prone to temper tantrums, a vain god, a jealous God. To be perfectly blunt, the idea that current spouses will remain our spouses in the afterlife, that our children will remain our children, and so on, may be something we have created to make us feel better, to comfort us, but is it real? I hope so, I certainly do not know for sure, and I feel positive that no-one on this earth knows. They may claim they do, and if that's what works for them, who I am to say otherwise? When I hear very little children say, "Remember when I was your mommy?" and they have a certain look in their eyes, and you can tell with every fiber of your being that they are not BSing you, you've got to wonder... and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I've quit tormenting myself over this because it just creates more doubt and anguish. Many years ago I decided to adopt the view that a much greater, loving intelligence is out there and that intelligence would not allow anything "bad" to happen to me, and so I approach the finish line with that reassurance; it's good enough for me :)

Maria, please accept my apology if I did not explain myself adequately. I am not saying that you will not be reunited with your loved one. What I am saying is that we need/should consider the possibility that we will be together again (this I believe for sure) but not necessarily as husband and wife; that change will not cause us any sadness because once we return home, it will all make sense, it will all be as it was and is meant to be.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Amore likes this.
  10. bluebird

raven,

Perhaps it is just a matter of viewing "marriage" differently, or using that word/concept differently? If there is an afterlife, I believe that I will be with my husband there, throughout eternity. Not out of duty, or because we chose to marry in this life, but because we are soulmates and our love binds us together. We are committed to each other because we want to be, not because we have to be. It is a marriage of souls, not a marriage meant to satisfy some earthly requirement. If there is an afterlife, I believe that my husband and I will continue our exclusive love. That doesn't mean (in my opinion) that we will not also love others in our "soul group", but those loves are not the same.

This doesn't apply in the case of my husband and I, but -- you mentioned people who have been married more than once....I don't know how that would play out, but my guess is that someone in that situation would be able to more clearly see which person they most truly and deeply love, and could choose to be with that person. Or perhaps they could be with more than one of their spouses/partners, I don't know.

I do not believe in a "greater, loving intelligence" (god, force, whatever), but I do believe in the love I have for my husband and the love he has for me, and it is in our love that I place my faith.

enby and Bill Z like this.
  11. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

You might be right, bluebird; hope you're right, but that's how I see today. When our time comes, we will find out :)

12. bluebird

Yep, I suppose so. ;)

13. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Thanks for posting this.

I read this book a few months ago and it was pretty good. Short and right to the point!

DenverGuy likes this.
  14. Monika

Monika Active Member

Hej all♡ Few nights ago for the first time i had visitation dream. It was very intresting because few days before this dream Michel asked me if i am ready to see him. And then he came. It was a very strange dream. I can not say even that i was fully sleeping as i could hear dogs outside and wind. Dream was full of messages and there participated so many people who were affected by Michels death mostly deep. My parents and our closest friends. There were also several older women who i dont know in real life. Very strange conversations was going on there. Also numbers were involved. But the main thing for me was that i finally could hug Michel. The hug felt so solid! I could feel his body as we huged and i remember in the dream i was thinking wow it is true, we are solid even without body. Michel died when he was 29 years old but in dream he looked 26, same like when we met♡♡♡
    Also the day before dream strange thing happened. We were driving in mountains with dogs. First days i ignored everything at all. I could not see or feel anything as i always feel totally blank after Michel left. We came into huge valey. High slope was ahead us so we made short break. Suddenly i heard "look meine gute!". I heard Michel. I turned around and i saw beauty of snowy mountains all around. Of course i started to cry. I bend behind sledge pretending to do something as i didnt want others to see me crying. Then our friend came to me who was on tour too. He just came huged and said "Michel would love this view so much!". I was amazed that he got same feeling as i at the same valey and same moment. Then one more friend came and said same. We all cried of course. And for me the most intresting is that during tour we passed some rivers. Michel was fisherman so it would be logical if friends would say there oh he would like this. But no..i am sure in that valey Michel did something to give all of us the feeling of how he would love this at the same moment.

15. SashaS

SashaS New Member

Some months after my husband died I had a visitation dream too. The dream was so vivid and I will never forget it. We met each other and he said to me that life goes on. Than I asked him why they got him so young from this life. He answered that was my life. Than he showed me a view of a sea and he was holding children above. And after that he gave me some family advices...

That dream was so true and nothing can convince me otherwise.
    This grief is so exhausting but I'm happy that he still lives even that I miss him so much.

Monika likes this.
  16. Monika

Monika Active Member

I'm so happy for you!♡♡♡

DenverGuy, Ski and SashaS like this.