1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Dreaming - All Spirit Connected?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by TheIrreligiousSurvivalist, May 1, 2013.

1. Arthur Conan Doyle wrote frequently about the afterlife, its validity and spent much of his personal fortune traveling the globe in search of mediums and survival evidence.

He had a theory on dreaming one of which I mostly agree.

His theory supports the concept that we are first etheric beings. We reside in the realm of spirit and that this life, what we call reality, is nothing more than an illusion created for the purposes of our spiritual education.

When we dream, we return to the etheric dimensions where we receive rest, peace and, perhaps, instruction. Often part of us, the human portion, remains and we dream of baser things.

When we awake, it's school time. :p

The above is from The New Revelation by Arthur Conan Doyle...available here.

https://www.box.com/s/dz2phkk10a5z5wfarlfm

2. That's very interesting, provides me with a new perspective on my strange dreams.

3. Did me as well.

It was the strange dreams as you call it that always bothered me about the spirit-dream-sleep concept.

4. ravensgate

ravensgate Regular Contributor

Same here; it helps explain some of my bizarre dreams.

Thank you, TIS; you're offering us much food for thought and I, for one, appreciate it.

5. ravensgate

ravensgate Regular Contributor

6. The idea that when we sleep, we are visiting etheric dimensions has been discussed previously on the forums, and some of our dreams are memories (perhaps filtered) of those experiences. Roberta and poeticblue have both talked about this in prior threads.

The part of that discussion that always bothered me a bit was the explanation for the majority of our dreams which do not seem to be remotely "etheric" in nature, even accounting for the brain having to use some symbolism. Doyle's explanation makes more sense to me -- I continue to think that most dreams are the brain's way of processing excess information and unresolved issues from the waking hours. Since it appears that animals also dream while sleeping (clearly my dogs do!) there must be some aspect of dreaming that is just physical brain maintenance.

Most of us have occasional dreams that affect us deeply, and many that seem pretty random.

I also appreciate all the new information and references that TIS has provided.

7. Doyle's sleep-dream concept flips the paradigm that the physical is real and the etheric is other wordly. It forces me to remember to think first as if I were in my spirit form when looking at earth-sphere problems.

90% of my dreams are flashes of bizarre movie sets which barely make sense. I'm too sleepy to write them down when I wake up and their memories fade quickly. My discarnate relatives come by from time to time which I enjoy although they never speak.

Instead of sleep and dreams being (physically required but nonetheless seemingly) lost time, they are actually a return to self justifying the entire 7/24/365 as having value. Each night may be another journey home.

8. Fudge

Fudge New Member

Hi,
    I just joined today but I wanted to say that I lost a very close friend a year ago and in the past year I've had a few dreams of being with him. One dream we were in a bit of a discussion and I was getting a bit miffed by something in the conversation and I said to him "Oh I'm going back" and I immediately woke up in my bed.
    I remembered everything apart from the subject we had been discussing.

9. Welcome to the forum, Fudge, and I'm sorry for your loss. I lost a dear friend a few years ago also, so I know how tough it can be. I've only had one dream where I really felt that I was visiting with him, similar to what you describe, such dreams seem different in substance from the run of the mill random "I'm trying to get to the airport but my car got stuck in chicken soup" dreams.

It made me chuckle that you were having a bit of a disagreement -- my friend Don was also very opinionated and I sometimes wonder how much of that passion and energy he still has.