1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Dr Eben Alexander's NDE

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Billyjean, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZoX4N5_YQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi All

I Read a story in today's Daily Mail online regarding this Doctor of science's NDE. Makes good reading. He said that before this he was a skeptic, and would explain his own patients NDE's with some scientific reasoning.

It was only after his own NDE, that he has changed his way of thinking, and now wants to study the spiritual aspects.

2. You never know what will happen tomorrow. A skeptic has started in believing all the spiritual aspects. That’s great news.

3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

little drops of water, little grains of sand...

On a personal basis it's always good learn that a former doubter is beginning to consider what was once dismissed. NDE accounts seem to have the power to draw individuals towards the bigger notion of continuous life, life beyond physical death.

We can only hope that they then find more detailed information to develop their growing interest.

4. If a picture is worth a thousand words, an experience is worth a thousand pictures.
    -- Not sure who I plagiarized this from.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

5. I recall seeing his story on Bio channel's "I Survived - Beyond and Back." I was thrilled to hear a Neurosurgeon switching sides. I see the skeptics on the message boards thread are already writing his story off as one of the following -
    a) He made it up to make money on a book
    b) It was all just a big DMT trip
    c) He's loony

6. Billyjean,
    Thanks for posting this. It is always great to hear of an M.D. becoming a believer after an experience like this. I enjoyed listening to the interview, and what I found especially interesting was his reference to seeing the face of a psychic, a woman who engaged in astral travel to see him while he was unconscious. He was not surprised to see her. This is in keeping with the work of multidimensional man, and of course, Robert Monroe, and Castaneda. He doesn't say much about the spirits he saw, but I am sure that will be in his book.

7. It's a compelling NDE.

I too saw his account first on I Survived...Beyond and Back.

If you go to his website and look at his curriculum vitae (resume) his credentials are extensive and prestigeous. You can get a grasp for this intellect simply by listening to him speak.

Why else, other than truly having the experience he speaks of, would he make this up and put his medical credentials in question?

For money? As an accomplished M.D. (per his C.V. he was named one of the best M.D.s in his field in the Northeast region for 2010) and paid speaker for multiple subjects at medical conferences, I would venture to say, this gentleman had more money than he needed.

Drug Induced? He goes over this argument and I agree, drugs usually cloud your perception, they do not make your perception 'hyper real' as he describes in his account. Not to mention his cortex was not operational which in his esteemed opinion as a Neurosurgeon, prior to his experience, it would be impossible to have consciousness without the cortex working, if conciousness and brain activity were co-dependant.

Nuts? Presumably if he passed his doctoral exam, got through residency, received fellowships, was paid to speak at medical conferences, served as the Chief in numerous hospitals, someone would have noticed insane behavior. Furthermore, perhaps he would have been sued for malpractice and the attorneys would have discovered this guy was insane through the discovery process. I rule this out.

The rest, I guess, boils down to believe it, or don't.

8. Trust me, I'm 100% on board with your counterarguments. I'm a little sad for these individuals that are so adamant that this life is all there is but I also have to chuckle at how desperately they try to shoot down any theory about an afterlife. It's as if that's many of their main purposes is to go on message boards and refute things. I don't know if I'm any better since I take the bait and many times insert myself into the chaos of their negative reactions.

9. Birki

Birki Member

Thanks for posting, I don't have time to listen to the whole thing right now but maybe this weekend. I did listen the first minute or so and it is pretty mind blowing that as a neurosurgeon he says the mind and consciousness are separate from the brain. I have a few of the I Survived: Beyond and Back on the DVR that I haven't watched yet, I'll have to see if his story is on one of those episodes.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Member

I just read the article and related blog posting, "Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With the Afterlife" and I am very happy to see this topic has already been addressed here, though via YouTube.

I have no doubt that this medical professional of excellent standing experienced this "on purpose" (yet another account of the Afterlife). He came back, brain and intellect intact, to share his experience, knowing full well his own colleagues would probably pooh-pooh it all. Even his subsequent church visits took on a special dimension.

Dr. Alexander should come here—we are a willing audience!

Astounding, thrilling, and inspiring!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. I think this short clip from Nightline ABC news is related, as a nurse, Mary Jo Rapini, discusses her skepticism prior to her near death experience and how it was related to the general attitude of the medical profession. It is interesting that the anchorman from Nightline had had an out of body experience himself, and this prompted him to report on this topic via the nurse's experience. They both report being aware of their bodies as being separate from themselves and not caring very much about their bodies, as though they were embarking on a journey that was more important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcjjhvvddE

12. He has a website called lifebeyonddeath.net. I'm going to check it out.

13. Birki

Birki Member

I didn't listen to the YouTube video but I did read the entire transcript of the Skeptico interview. I kind of feel about it the way I feel about most NDEs - it's interesting but I am not sure it is proof of anything. Especially in his case I can really see how skeptics would pounce on things like what drugs he was being given at the time and how they would affect his brain/memory, etc. That said I do still think it is wonderful that someone with his standing in the medical community has made such a 180 on how he views consciousness, and that he is willing to state it so publicly. He has a book coming out on October 23 (his entire website seems to be devoted to selling the book), but based on the interview it won't be at the top of my reading list. There are plenty of other books that I want to get to first.

14. His website does seem to be about his book, I noticed. But there is an interesting section on there where he is answering questions about his nde.

15. Referring to thread #192 and in response to Mac's question about the relevance of his questions to Carol and Mikey, Dr. Eban Alexander was featured on ABC news last night, and this Harvard trained neurosurgeon said that it would be impossible to explain away anything that happened during his NDE with his vast medical knowledge, and he also said that it was imperative that scientists begin to take seriously the fact that visions of deceased loved ones (including a sister he had never met in human form, apparently) represented the vastness of our universe. In short, his words, and ABCs treatment of this event support what Carol and Mikey have posted, about a shift in our understanding, toward the realization that the afterlife exists in a vibrant and real way. He said that what he experienced was too real to dismiss.

16. Birki

Birki Member

I saw him on ABC last night, it didn't change my opinion at all. I do think what he experiened was real, the problem I have with it is that previously if a patient of his awoke from a coma with a similar story he would have dismissed it out of hand. He is now expecting everyone, including his fellow medical professionals, to believe what he is saying just because he experienced it. If he really wants to make a difference it would be nice if he would be more public about his experience not being an isolated incident and not the only proof of the afterlife. At least he has a reading list on his website, but frankly I think from everything I've seen he mostly just wants to sell his book.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  17. Yes, what would really help is if a high profile person donated the proceeds of this book to the Monroe Institute or any organization that will further research into the afterlife. He is certainly comfortable enough economically to do that.

18. What I found most interesting about his experience was that he was healed from an illness which he seemed to have a slim chance of recovery. That in itself is extraordinary. It makes me think the nde gave him true physical and spiritual healing-truly lucky guy. He should indeed share his good luck with others.

19. There does appear to be a degree of scepticism if not outright dismissal of Eban Alexanders NDE experience, even among other rational 'survival' blogs. When contributors here mention that his website apparently focuses on selling his book, one can't help subscribing to the old advice when something seems a bit suspect. And that is "Follow the money". Although, I'm not certain that the proceeds from books sales for such a limited demographic would be significant for a presumably well paid Neurosurgion, or adequate compensation for a devalueing of his reputation among his peers.
    Bill.

20. Carol and Mikey

Carol and Mikey Golden Hearts

I agree Bill. The proceeds from this book is not what it's about I don't think. He does not need the money with the occupation he has. He also is putting himself "out there" with his peers and others with what he is reporting. He must feel very strong in what he experienced. I will say, when you have an experience that is so powerful it cannot be denied by you, it can put you on a mission . I still feel personal experiences are the most powerful events that show you what is true and real. It just is what it is!
    Carol