1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Dr Eben Alexander's NDE

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Billyjean, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZoX4N5_YQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi All

I Read a story in today's Daily Mail online regarding this Doctor of science's NDE. Makes good reading. He said that before this he was a skeptic, and would explain his own patients NDE's with some scientific reasoning.

It was only after his own NDE, that he has changed his way of thinking, and now wants to study the spiritual aspects.

2. You never know what will happen tomorrow. A skeptic has started in believing all the spiritual aspects. That’s great news.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

little drops of water, little grains of sand...

On a personal basis it's always good learn that a former doubter is beginning to consider what was once dismissed. NDE accounts seem to have the power to draw individuals towards the bigger notion of continuous life, life beyond physical death.

We can only hope that they then find more detailed information to develop their growing interest.

4. If a picture is worth a thousand words, an experience is worth a thousand pictures.
    -- Not sure who I plagiarized this from.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

5. I recall seeing his story on Bio channel's "I Survived - Beyond and Back." I was thrilled to hear a Neurosurgeon switching sides. I see the skeptics on the message boards thread are already writing his story off as one of the following -
    a) He made it up to make money on a book
    b) It was all just a big DMT trip
    c) He's loony

6. Billyjean,
    Thanks for posting this. It is always great to hear of an M.D. becoming a believer after an experience like this. I enjoyed listening to the interview, and what I found especially interesting was his reference to seeing the face of a psychic, a woman who engaged in astral travel to see him while he was unconscious. He was not surprised to see her. This is in keeping with the work of multidimensional man, and of course, Robert Monroe, and Castaneda. He doesn't say much about the spirits he saw, but I am sure that will be in his book.

7. It's a compelling NDE.

I too saw his account first on I Survived...Beyond and Back.

If you go to his website and look at his curriculum vitae (resume) his credentials are extensive and prestigeous. You can get a grasp for this intellect simply by listening to him speak.

Why else, other than truly having the experience he speaks of, would he make this up and put his medical credentials in question?

For money? As an accomplished M.D. (per his C.V. he was named one of the best M.D.s in his field in the Northeast region for 2010) and paid speaker for multiple subjects at medical conferences, I would venture to say, this gentleman had more money than he needed.

Drug Induced? He goes over this argument and I agree, drugs usually cloud your perception, they do not make your perception 'hyper real' as he describes in his account. Not to mention his cortex was not operational which in his esteemed opinion as a Neurosurgeon, prior to his experience, it would be impossible to have consciousness without the cortex working, if conciousness and brain activity were co-dependant.

Nuts? Presumably if he passed his doctoral exam, got through residency, received fellowships, was paid to speak at medical conferences, served as the Chief in numerous hospitals, someone would have noticed insane behavior. Furthermore, perhaps he would have been sued for malpractice and the attorneys would have discovered this guy was insane through the discovery process. I rule this out.

The rest, I guess, boils down to believe it, or don't.

8. Trust me, I'm 100% on board with your counterarguments. I'm a little sad for these individuals that are so adamant that this life is all there is but I also have to chuckle at how desperately they try to shoot down any theory about an afterlife. It's as if that's many of their main purposes is to go on message boards and refute things. I don't know if I'm any better since I take the bait and many times insert myself into the chaos of their negative reactions.

9. Birki

Birki Member

Thanks for posting, I don't have time to listen to the whole thing right now but maybe this weekend. I did listen the first minute or so and it is pretty mind blowing that as a neurosurgeon he says the mind and consciousness are separate from the brain. I have a few of the I Survived: Beyond and Back on the DVR that I haven't watched yet, I'll have to see if his story is on one of those episodes.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Member

I just read the article and related blog posting, "Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With the Afterlife" and I am very happy to see this topic has already been addressed here, though via YouTube.

I have no doubt that this medical professional of excellent standing experienced this "on purpose" (yet another account of the Afterlife). He came back, brain and intellect intact, to share his experience, knowing full well his own colleagues would probably pooh-pooh it all. Even his subsequent church visits took on a special dimension.

Dr. Alexander should come here—we are a willing audience!

Astounding, thrilling, and inspiring!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012