1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Crystals, Herbs, Rituals and Symbols

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Celera, Apr 6, 2014.

1. I feel like I may have asked this before, but I couldn't find it after searching the forums and the Carol/Mikey threads in particular. If someone finds a related thread, I'd be happy to just re-read it.

On another forum, I sometimes read advice pertaining to the use of crystals, herbs or other things as a way of, for example, protecting oneself from negative energy, or enhancing one's meditation practice, or being healed of something or other. For instance, one person was advised to cleanse their home of negative energy by burning sage in all the corners of the rooms.

I've always been interested in this sort of thing, perhaps because I grew up in a church-going environment, where symbols and rituals are prevalent. Even in the Christian world, though, there are varying interpretations of these things -- most famously whether the communion bread and wine actually turn into the body and blood of Christ, or whether it is simply a reminder of Jesus' death for our sins.

I don't want to start any debate about transubstantiation, of course, that's just an example.

For the person troubled by ghosts in their bedroom, would burning sage in the corners have some inherent value, or is there value only in the person's belief that the ritual will be effective, which might reduce their fear and make them less easily affected by negative energies? If I want to contact my spirit guide, and I meditate in a circle of crystals, do the crystals actually help? Or is it just that the ritual of placing crystals around me somehow focuses my mind and enhances my intention to communicate? Either way, the ritual may have some value -- the question is precisely how they are valuable.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that these things have power because we believe them to have some power, and that various stones and plants have no special power of their own. That doesn't make them worthless, but it suggests that they aren't absolutely necessary, and that the person who uses them without believing in their efficacy is wasting their effort.

2. janef

janef Moderator

I have used this method:

Clearing Instructions

Negative energy can be anywhere. It can be expelled from people when they have anger, fear, grief or any other negative emotion. It can also come from different chemicals and negative occurances.

It is important to clear your home or office of negative energy on a regular basis. The procedure is simple. Saging, burning of sage does not work. If a person believes it will clear a space, often their INTENTION to clear the space from burning sage is what really does it, but it is not as effective as this procedure.

Get a 4 qt. saucepan with a handle. Put one cup of Epsom Salts. Add 5-7 T. of Denatured Alcohol. You don't have to measure it - just use a guestimate. Immediately light it with a long fireplace lighter. It will "poof" when it ignights so be sure to keep your face back/ Put on oven mits and then start at the lowest floor of your house or office and circle each room. If the flames go out, just add more alcohol and re-light it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  3. That is interesting, and a procedure I have not seen before (although I admit I haven't done any diligent research, just casual reading.) Why would this chemical process work better? Is there something about a flame that dispels energy? If so, why not carry a candle around?

I'm not doubting the usefulness of your process, just wondering how it works.

4. janef

janef Moderator

I honestly do not know how or why, but it does work. I got this method from a psychic to clear the negative energy from a rental I had for sale. (drug users) It sold the first week-end on the market for over the asking price! Multiple offers in a bad market.

btw..these are her instructions

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  5. janef

janef Moderator

For myself... I use a Bubble of White Light for protection. It is something I learned years ago, to visualize a spiritual white bubble of protection around me anytime I feel it is needed.
    As you stated in your post Celera, it is the INTENTION that works. I agree with that. Attitude, Intention is everything in my opinion. I have seen its effects. Amazing things have happened to me thru intention. I may post about some of these on another thread.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hi Celera,

My educated guess would be that, like everything else in our physical universe, any objects or herbs used for protection have no intrinsic power. As you said, they probably have only whatever power the user's mind attributes to them. In actuality, the mind is all that is needed to protect itself.

However, some people use other objects to make the protection seem more tangible. I think, for many people, it is easier to accept that a herb is indued with special abilities, than that their minds are as powerful as they are. So, in essence, they are crutches, more or less, that help us to reach our full potential. That's perfectly fine but, as Janef mentions above, the intention is the key factor to the spiritual action.

7. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

While I don't know much about the efficacy of crystals or rituals, I am a bit of an amateur expert on herbal remedies. I fired my doctor about 17 years ago and have been using herbal remedies for balance and health ever since. Can't imagine ever going back to swallowing chemical compounds with their crude side effects and unknown interactions.
    There is a great deal of value in natural plant healing. Nature is a far better healer than Big Pharma, in my opinion. The very aim of many drugs isn't to heal underlying causes of disease but rather to treat symptoms.
    Many modern drugs are derived from natural plants, aspirin, morphine, and quinine are examples.

8. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

That's true. I've found natural remedies for just about all of my ailments. And what you eat helps a lot too.

9. As someone who has been on anti-depressants for years now, with negligible side effects and much improved mood, energy and outlook on life, I think modern medicine has its place. Better living through chemistry! :)

But all the evidence suggests that the vast majority of routine health issues can in fact be managed, if not cured, by basic health habits -- exercise, sleep, diet, moderation or abstinence from vices such as tobacco and alcohol. Modern medicine has pretty much conquered communicable disease (comparatively speaking) and mostly we suffer and die from things that we could avoid if we took better care of ourselves.

10. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

Celera, to each his own. In other words whatever works for you… I once had some depression and my doctor prescribed zoloft which gave me horrible nightmares and made me suicidal. Never again. Agreed that exercise, healthy diet and adequate and deep sleep are essential for optimum health.
    ilovelearning, looks like we're in agreement.