1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Connection with Music

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Gabriella, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

I enjoy listening to the recording when I have free time. Roberta seems like a wonderful person with a great personality :)

2. mac

mac Staff Member

great job, Gabby :)

I've recently downloaded a bunch from SR Radio that I plan to listen to on my way home in a few weeks time. I'm waiting now for an MP3 player from Walmart so I can load it with the new podcasts - plus a few other from dear old BBC radio, UK. :)

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Oh my dear precious Gabriella, you have no idea the delight we all feel here, to see you grown into such a graceful and lovely young person!

Bill Z likes this.
  4. Bill Z

Bill Z Well-Known Member

Sincerely, thank you everyone for the important posts and the good work done here. This post about music touches me very deeply. I am a musician and little more and that is where my understanding of everything comes from. I'm struggling for words right now but for some reason I need to state this. I'm going through a pretty severe depression but that happens off and on and always is a period of growth and understanding. My life is a dichotomy in that I'm surrounded by wonderful loving people but at the same time I am completely alone because of a language and other barriers. I spend most of my day right now alone and in meditation and nature when I'm not working to cook or play music. Luckily everyone here realizes I need this time alone and I have had some very profound discussions and realizations when we do talk. Plus I make some of the best bread on the planet so I am able to nourish others through the food and the music.
    Rudolph Steiner and Hazrat Inayat Khan both equate sickness or many types of duress as a form of lost rhythm, or falling out of rhythm. Right now I seem to be between rhythms and trying to find my way, if that makes any sense. I was blessed to study music with among others Ustad Vilayat Khan a relative of Hazrat Inayat Khan's and a transcendental musician who showed me that the music we "hear" is some small part of the overall totality. I've had some pretty amazing experiences with Ustad Khan that I am so thankful for and learned so much from.
    Music is everything to me and I hope to find my way back to the rhythm that keeps me alive.
    Hope that makes some bit of sense and wonder what others think/perceive/feel. Peace.

SashaS, Gabriella and poeticblue like this.
  5. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

Bill,

I deal with depression as well. It’s been that way since I was very much young and it is a sensitive topic for us.

We appreciate you here on the forum wether your’re here to emote or give guidance towards someone else. Perhaps your contribution is both in that when you share your struggles, you help another.

Your experiences makes me and others feel less segregated when it comes to human situations. Please keep coming back on the forum. I read your posts during the night but I don’t respond much to them, particularly because I know that I need to learn how to listen to other people. I’ve seen you and others grown throughout the years that certain guidances are not needed.

You are a great person that has helped others here along the way. Due to your own struggles and you speaking, you’ve made a very good impact here.

We love you. Take care.

SashaS, Monika and Bill Z like this.
  6. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Thank you for sharing this. I am glad you enjoy the thread, and come back anytime you would like! I’m glad that music helps you out. Sometimes the littlest things can make you feel like the loneliness floats away. I talked to my mom a while back about how I felt like some of my friends gradually split apart from me and she told me to just focus on the things that make me happy, like music. I listened and I have been feeling much better. Music has even gotten me some new friends! Once again, thank you so much for replying :D

Bill Z likes this.
  7. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

Gabriella, the girl my son married at the hospice plays the ukelele to accompany songs of her own composition, the best known one is "It Must Be The Gin Again" and she sang it many times onstage at university to great cheers. So I hope you continue to enjoy your playing and your other music!

Gabriella likes this.
  8. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Thank you so much!

9. Grink

Grink New Member

I enjoyed this conversation around music. I was blest with a good vocal instrument and singing with others has always brought me joy! I also played the ukulele when younger, and thought about picking it up again.
    The topic of "tones" interested me. In my journaling, I received a response to "individuality" in the higher realms - what came to me is that we each have an individual tone which is our signature tone. It was the sound that created us and vibrates at a frequency that can be recognized by others. Whether the tone rises in octaves as one progresses, one can only guess. Not only we, but ever created thing has a musical note - perhaps the meaning of "The Music of the Spheres".
    Years ago, when riding in the car, I was suddenly aware of a symphony playing in my mind. It was gorgeous! It had all the elements of a symphony that we are used to, but it was much finer, sublime. I thought about the great composers and how they often commented that they heard the music first before writing it down.
    Where did it come from? And why me - was I just "tapping in" somehow - or was it sent to me by mistake? Fascinating questions.
    Also, in my journal came that we are attracted to others whose tones collectively create harmony

10. Bill Z

Bill Z Well-Known Member

Just wondering about this. Sorry to ramble in my despair. I wonder if my heart is a curse or a blessing? The joys it has brought. The tears. Seeing my daughter take her first breath, seeing the love of my life take Her last breath. A blessing or a curse? Maybe both. They say "you get what you pay for" What a terrible cost this love is.

I know people who are not so in touch with their feelings they tell me. Sometimes I envy them, sometimes I feel sorry for them. Is that a blessing or a curse? My heart is an open book, but lately seems like most of the pages have been ripped out brutally leaving the tattered words of lost love.
    I Know we will be together again, that's why I come to this site, to remember that fact that there is no death.....but it sure seems like there is many days.

Would I give it up?

I'm lost right now. Soon going back to a place I never imagined I'd return to because I have no home. I have no home because I've loved so deeply and for now the love of my life has returned to our home and for now I've lost the key. ,
    Would I give it up? Is this a blessing or a curse?

Cassandra Wilson: You Don't Know What Love Is

You Don't Know What Love Is

You don't know what love is
    Until you've learned the meaning of the blues
    Until you've loved a love you had to loose
    You don't know how lips hurt
    Until you've kissed and had to pay the cost
    Until you've flipped you're heart and you have lost
    Do you know how a lost heart fears
    The thought of reminiscing