1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Car problems - 2002 crappy Ford Taurus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by poeticblue, Jul 28, 2019.

1. poeticblue

poeticblue member

So does anyone have any idea why my car doesn’t want to start at certain times when the engine reaches mid-level heat? It starts perfectly fine when cold and it even starts a few times when it’s mid-level temperature. But if I keep turning the key over when I make multiple stops and the car is still warm it doesn’t start. I have to wait a moment for the engine to cool off before the car starts again.

I’ve taken my car to the same shop for years and the only thing they said is that had a dead battery (no shit ). Something wasn’t properly charging my battery which is what they should have caught onto to begin with.

Then I was told that a spark plug should fix the issue. (Ok.... paid for a spark plug, problem still not fixed.

Then I dropped Gabby off at her friends house for a sleepover and had someone look at my car and they said I needed a new starter which is why my car won’t start at certain times. Now that makes sense. I didn’t have to pay a dime for him to diagnose that problem for me, yet the folks at a repair shop didn’t even mention anything about it. They just gave me a new battery and plug and sent me on my way $350.00 wasted for nothing.

I tell you I’m highly upset. If it’s one thing I don’t like is wasting money and being stranded in the middle of nowhere for a simple issue that could have been solved if the technicians actually did their job.

Kurt likes this.
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

Assuming the battery and starter are now in good working order - decent battery, decent starter motor - and the sparking plugs and leads are in good condition it might be a fuel issue. I'm guessing your car has a carburetor and parts inside can wear leading to a bad fuel mix and/or a small amount of water can get into the float chamber and jets causing poor running and/or starting.

A decent repair shop ought to be able to check the distributor (if there is one) check the condition of the HT (high voltage) leads to the sparking plugs, replace plugs and leads if they're old, check the carb. for blocked jets or water droplets, check the fuel mix and if necessary supply a reconditioned carb.

It's the kind of job I used to do for myself when I was younger so none of them is hard to do. A competent mechanic should be able to do all of them easily.

Kurt likes this.
  3. poeticblue

poeticblue member

I fear that it may have something to do with the fuel pump. But why would the battery light go on and off even after recently replacing the battery? Could it be the alternator?

I’m not sure about the starter. The mechanics at the shop didn’t say I needed it replaced, but a neighbor of mines said I need to look into repairing my starter if my car has a hard time starting when warm.

Such a headache more so because it costs a lot of money to fix.

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

On and off problems are often poor connections. Ground connection corrosion and/or the positive terminal clamp can lead to warning light going on and off. Yes it might be an alternator fault also. All of those are simple checks for a competent mechanic.

What you need to decide is whether the starter motor is slow and struggling to turn the engine over. If it is it could be that it's badly worn and/or has corroded terminals on the thick feed wires. Starter motors get slower and slower as the commutator and brushes wear, the motor bearings can wear and the effect is to cause the motor to become less-and-less efficient. Again an electrical repair shop should be able to check and if necessary replace the starter motor.

If it's a fuel-injector model then fuel pump and/or injector inefficiency is always possible and that may be more a speciality check and repair.

Kurt likes this.
  5. poeticblue

poeticblue member

I wish I had about $10,000 on me then none of this would be an issue. I just need a new car. Picking Gabby up now. Let’s hope the car doesn’t fade as I pull out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Gabriella and Kurt like this.
  6. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

I'd only wish we had another car :D

Kurt likes this.
  7. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Well the only thing you need to worry about now is school.

Gabby starts her first day in 7th grade tomorrow :) All AP classes.

Kurt likes this.
  8. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Also as a little update, my car is cooperating with me at the moment. No issues for the past few days although I’m very weary as to why it wouldn’t start when the engine was warm at certain times. I’ll take it to the mechanic as soon as I can. My emissions is coming up shortly so I have no choice.

Kurt likes this.
  9. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

That's nice.

10. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Congratulations on your school success, Gabby! I'm sure you're going to be an even bigger star this year!!

Kurt likes this.