1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Book list and reviews

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kurt, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I am dedicating this to the memory of Ravensgate. Sadly I don't think shell return. I miss her.

First review is coming soon.

2. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

Sweddenborg is interesting, but he doesn't believe in physical reincarnation. That is in such contrast with what so many others say, and it deals with such a core principle of spirituality (if the afterlife is real then, to me at least, reincarnation makes a whole lot more sense), that it makes it hard to me to really trust the rest of his teachings.

For those interested, though, there is also a good channel on youtube, the 'Sweddenborg Foundation', that discusses all of his ideas step by step. https://www.youtube.com/user/offTheLeftEye

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Monika likes this.
  3. Convolution

Some books and some short reviews. I'm more of a skeptic seeking truth, so others who find themselves in the same place may find these helpful:
    • Journey of Souls & Destiny of Souls & Memories of the Afterlife - Michael Newton. Highly recommend it for those grieving. It has a few inconsistencies here and there, but I didn't see anything glaring
    • Biocentrism & Beyond Biocentrism - Robert Lanza. Lanza has some interesting ideas- he is trying to develop the framework to create a scientific theory of the universe using consciousness as its foundation. Only bother with one of them. They contain almost the same exact information in a different format.
    • Proof of Heaven & Living in a Mindful Universe - Eben Alexander's NDE book and later another book with his partner, Karen Newell. It's fair. There's no proof of heaven in either. It's a nice story, and if the details of his NDE are confirmed by actual documentation, it would be more interesting. I haven't been able to find any documentation. There are no veridical accounts except for one, which didn't impress me much, at least. Worth reading if you already fully buy the idea of survival of consciousness and have an interest in NDEs.
    • Dying to be me - Interesting account about improbable survival. Clearly life changing for the author. Worth reading if you already fully buy the idea of survival of consciousness and have an interest in NDEs
    • It's a wonderful Afterlife 1-2 & Hacking the Afterlife & Backstage Pass to the Flipside 1-2 - Richard Martini. If you liked Michael Newton and found LBL Hypnotherapy interesting, then you may like these. Richard Martini pairs up with another Newton institute trained therapist and does sessions on a wide variety of people, with different religions backgrounds. All of them are pretty consistent in their message, according to passages of the book.
    • The Source Field Investigations - David Wilcock. Personally if I were you I'd avoid this one with passion. David Wilcock seems to want to present it as a scientific investigation and delivers little to none of that. It gets crazier as it progresses. I include this here as a way to say, in my opinion, to stay away from it.
    • Life after Life - Raymond A. Moody, Jr. Builds a decent case for the afterlife. Moody's background in NDE supports this book, and is pretty convincing.
    • The Soul's Remembrance - Roy Mills. Interesting NDE account. A bit different from others.
    • Life After Death, Powerful Evidence You Will Never Die - Stephen Martin. It gives an overview of some of the ongoing research into the survival of consciousness
    • The Invisible Choir - Terra Lynne. Therapist Tessa Lynne writes of speaking with a few spirits through one of her patients. The book devolves into a love story. It starts promising, but imo doesn't go far beyond that. Even the author at times seems unsure as to whether it's all a big prank. The are many inconsistencies in it. I've conversed with the author regarding these pretty extensively, but could not get any satisfactory explanations about them.
    • Love the Person you're With - David Sunfellow. Recounts his NDE, where he describes speaking with Jesus. Writes of other NDE accounts.
    • Physicians' Untold Stories - Scott Kolbaba MD. It's exactly what the title says, accounts that cannot be explained by physicians and staff. It doesn't try to be much more than that, to its credit.
    • Irreducible Mind - Edward Kelly. The state of modern psychology and consciousness within it.
    • Near Death in the ICU - Laurin Bellg MD - Account of a bunch of NDEs & why they're meaningful. By an MD with something to lose. That gives it a bit of an extra air of trustworthiness, and shows that perhaps NDEs are starting to become more acceptable.
    • New Science of Consciousness Survival - Dr. Alan Hugenot. Alan's had an NDE, and tries to explain consciousness from a scientific point of view. It seems like it is sometimes going in an interesting direction, but ultimately it ends up sounding like the rant of someone who is tired of having to explain himself, in addition to a somewhat shaky understanding of science.
    • The Self Does Not Die - Titus Rivas. Verified paranormal experiences, pretty decent
    • Surviving Death - Leslie Kean. A journalist follows up on many NDE/Paranormal accounts and verifies them, publishes them here. A nice intro to NDEs and phenomena in a way that is approachable but also gives out many sources that can be further investigated.
    • The Handbook of Near Death Experiences - A compendium of NDEs
    • The French Revelation, Emily S French - Riley Heagerty. Accounts from a psychic. Some find it reliable, others seem to have found issues with it. It's interesting, overall, but it's hard to verify any of it.
    • Books by Alan Kardec - One of the early people of spiritualism. some interesting ideas, but not that consistent with a lot of other things I've seen. For those grieving, though, they can be great. He portrays the afterlife in a very human centric way. My sister is a medium, she says the book on mediums is a decent place to start.
    I found these to be the more noteworthy ones. I will post more here as I read.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Monika likes this.
  4. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

Oh and I was so happy finally to come across someone who has similar thoughts and feelings on that topic :)

And yes, those youtube videos I like a lot too. Didn't look too much, just those what were in my interest, but I like the format how they work.

Convolution likes this.
  5. Convolution

Yeah, they portray the teachings in a very convincing, loving way! I really get the warmth and care through the videos. I liked that the most...

Monika likes this.