1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Benevolent Spirit?

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by orangeysky, Apr 26, 2012.

1. orangeysky

orangeysky Member

Hello all. I've been struggling on every level...the whole life thing, purpose, why this/why that, pity party I guess you could say... blah. Anyway, I continue to read suggested books, websites and on this forum lurking probably way more than I should be. Last night I finally fell asleep about 3:30, wheels turning in my head. When I woke up at 5 this am the first thing that popped into my head was "Menevolent" and it just continues to play in my mind. Also when I woke up thinking "Menevolent" I looked out the window and in the trees was what I'm sure was an apparition (is that the correct term?), it was only an outline but it was human form and HUGE, I'm talking like 10-12 feet tall.

So I'm out with the dogs this morning after the child has left for school and I'm talking to this benevolent spirit openly, loudly and sternly to move on, leave me alone, there is help, please find and accept the guide or help and move on, go home!

Or maybe it was a benevolent spirit coming to help me?? I'm not sure now since I inadvertently type "benevolent" when I meant to type "menevolent" Maybe this wasn't a mistake afterall and I misunderstood the original message?

Just needed to share. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Heh - I think you mean malevolent, my friend. :eek:

I think you stumbled upon a shadow being/person. These are rather nasty entities. If you search for "shadow" on this website, you will find more detailed descriptions of these beings, including a couple of first hand accounts. Briefly, they are black, tall figures. They just form the outline of a person, but you don't see details, such as a face. They are typically men and, for some reason, they like to wear top hats.

Essentially, these beings do not really progress successfully on earth so, after death, they consciously choose to stay behind in the earthbound realm. Some fear judgement, others just want to play around with their enemies from life. Foolish. They are very low-level beings, which means that they are powerless. The most they can do is manifest in a darkened room. They have absolutely no power to harm you or your family.

What you'll want to do is either give it advice, or just be plain mean to it. If you really want to help the being, explain that all will be forgiven and suggest that he follow the light. I'm not sure if they would listen and leave the earthbound realm, but it is worth a shot. If you don't feel like going through all that, than just stand up to it and tell it you're not afraid. Laugh at it. These beings only feel power through our fear and, if that is denied, they will go haunt someone else.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Identity

Identity Inactive

Are they capable of seeing light? Maybe the spirit is ignorant of the light and is somehow attached to Earth. In any case, telling it to go away and that it has died is the best thing.

4. orangeysky

orangeysky Member

Yes, that word lol! Thank you. I wasn't at all afraid I just thought "am I dreaming this" but I'm certain that I wasn't. I just kept looking at it in disbelief but not all afraid. I have a mean teenager daughter that is Autistic so not much is scaring me these days. ;). It was outside, within the tree branches, the branches were outlining the figure but not really. More like this thing was standing among the leaves, positioned himself within them. He was a huge fellow though, no top hat just a black human form. After a few minutes of just staring at it I got up and started my day but been thinking about it all day. WHY would he be here trying to bother me, if he thinks he's gonna spook me let him try. I did tell him to find help, guidance and to go home. Like you said, doubt he listened but if I see him again I will do the same tell him to go away, that he is dead and to find help to get home.

5. Thanks for sharing orangeysky!

I have also experienced a negative entity who I tried to help and reason with. It was bothersome that would not leave me alone and let me sleep at night. I was not afraid, but concerned. I sent it love and warmth, but did not work. I tried clearing my home with burning sage, but made it angry. What worked for me was a combination of imagine a white light around me and then completely ignoring the entity, thus giving less energy. I am glad I no longer have this problem.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Everyone in the earthbound realm has the ability, with a little help, to "see the light" and move on to the afterlife. The problem is that these typically don't think to do so. Instead, they preoccupy themselves with earthly matters, which just makes it harder to see the way to afterlife. Typically though, if you can find a way to alert them to the afterlife, they will regain the ability to see the way (temporarily at least). Either that, or one of their helper beings will use that opportunity to lead them aware.

Make no mistake though, the being that is being described in this thread is malevolent. Not confused, not lost - malevolent. It is powerless, but malevolent. If it doesn't leave after you tell it that it has died, be stern with it. Forceful, if need be.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm glad you weren't afraid of it. Most people are afraid, or at least unnerved. Has it come back in the past few days?

I'm not sure why he would try to come and bother you. Normally, they try to pick people who they know are afraid, have no knowledge protection, or children/elderly people. It is possible that it was just passing through, I suppose. Or maybe it was trying to target your child? Did anyone else in the house see it? If no one has seen it in a few days, I wouldn't really worry about it. Like I said, it can't harm you really, just annoy.

The one thing, besides its motive, that is odd here is the timing. You saw it in the morning? Normally, they try to spook people while they are trying to fall asleep. Hmm...interesting.

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

What type of entity was yours, Linda? Do you physically see it, like Sky, or is was it an unseen poltergeist type? Your resourcefulness and determination certainly helped in this case!

9. orangeysky

orangeysky Member

It was early morning, the sun wasn't quite up yet but there was enough light to see it outside. There is no other lighting out that window, it's all wooded so no street lights, etc. No one else saw it, my husband just laughs me and my daughter, I could never tell her she would be scared silly. Could it have just been my imagination? I know for certain I was awake but I am doubting myself?

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

So it was pretty dark still? Ok, that makes sense. These beings cannot appear in a fully lit room. If there is a little light, they can appear, it seems, they can be seen best in the dark. I think you really did see this being - everything fits.

11. I could not identify the entity, Andrew, though I can say it was greyish like mist. I mainly felt it by physical sensation like stroking, hot pin pricks, tingling different areas of my body, atmosphere like changes in pressure as well as temperature. I also sensed its anger too and the way I could sense speckles of red in the greyish mass. Other times it would be like transparent, but never see a face or body.

I hated it the most when the entity would go through my body causing air movement within my stomach. ‘Uncomfortably’ it felt sexual in nature too. It would not let me sleep. I felt uneasy trying to go to sleep with the presence in my room. I told it to go away. It would not. It even followed me, seeing a transparent movement. I tried sleeping on the sofa instead of the bed. It made no difference. After a few days I was completely exhausted.

Through this exhaustion I fled to my parents’ home. I stayed there for a few nights. The entity followed me there too. This scared me. My family thought I was just imagining this, I certainly was not. Though I began wonder if was some sort of a spirit attachment. I felt so alone with no one to turn too, my anxiety levels was high and felt suicidal. I knew I had deal with this myself.

I tried to be brief as possible describing my experiences as I did not want to hog this thread. I just wanted to share as a way of saying that I know this kind of stuff is real and not imagination.

Orangeysky I certainly don’t doubt what you saw and it sounds like you are quite psychically too.

12. orangeysky

orangeysky Member

Oh dear Linda, what a frightening experience. I am so sorrry you had to go through that. I am assuming it did eventually go away. How long ago was this, how long did it last. My experience was nothing like yours. I'm still not sure it was real, it certainly felt real but I'm just not sure. You'd think I would have been scared out of my mind, or at least startled. I was more like "well this is strange, is this real?"

13. Linda, let me say how sorry I am you had to experience something like this. I'm very glad to hear that you were able to get the upper hand and rid yourself of it. This question may be impossible for you to answer, but do you have any idea where you may have picked up this bully?

This is of particular importance because so little in known about why one person picks up a spirit and another doesn't. As a result of this - sweeping, careless and dangerous generalizations are made. And while that is a relative constant on this forum that we've grown accustomed to, this particular subject can have far reaching consequences. Any idea at all Linda where you picked it up?

Orange Sky, for sure the oddest thing about your experience is the lack of fear. Our limibic system simply isn't wired that way. To be fully awake and suddenly see a shadow man sitting in a tree staring at you would seemingly generate a considerable and natural limbic response. Personally I would never talk to any unknown entity unless I was left with no other alternative.
    Any chance at all you dreamt it?

14. Sorry for this long post.

I was not frightened of the entity at the beginning, but became concerned the way it affected the health of my mind. I was highly stressed; I felt I had no control as the self protection techniques just would not work.

I began really sensing physical sensations around Christmas time. I thought this must be Tom, whom passed away last October, trying to make contact, so I welcomed it with excitement. I was staying at my parent’s home at that point.

When I came home to my ground floor flat in the first week of January, I had many sensations then like tickling, stroking, energy above my head, energy on my back, it was like haywire. But then things changed when felt a different energy like coldness around me and the way it seemed ‘sexual’ when I felt some sensation lower parts of the body. I felt confused. I thought this cant be intentional. Perhaps because its energy is merging with mine causing these sensations.

I tried speaking to the cold energy it seemed to listen but not communicate back. My ears were affected with a kind of pressure and I am sure I could hear a low vibrating noise like a low whirring. The problem came around bedtime. It would not leave me alone. Then it became bothersome night after night. This started on the 5 of January and continued through that month.

I went along to a spiritual church and spoke to a couple of mediums about that I have being sensing, told them about a spirit that would not allow me to sleep and the way it followed me. They said this was normal and they seemed happy that I am sensing as they thought it was a sign of sudden spiritual awakening. They told me that spirits cannot harm me and that I should be firm with them. They suggested morning and night doing the light bubble protection. I went home feeling better.

I had a go speaking with the spirit again asking are you a spirit of love and light? Asking who are you? And I generally chatted to it in a friendly way and the energy seemed to change as if darker, or I picked up another spirit. This was very confusing. The energy became sort of greyish and sensed red speckles, and I interpreted it as something negative and even angry. I tried to call it a day by saying thank you for communicating with you and would like our energies to separate until another time. I tried to close my self down and do the self protection thing. I did not work for me. I retired to my bed and it would bother me. Even poked me in my back whilst in bed
    like a hot finger. The way it kept going through my body, through my stomach.

Then next few days I lost sleep. I bought some sage to smudge my flat. (When I first moved in to the flat, a cardboard cross was left in a storage room and I took it down thinking that was odd.) I had a go smudging the whole of my flat to get rid of any negative energy. This did not help me. I was desperate. This entity was so persistent. On one of the early hours of he morning I sent a text to my sister saying there is something wrong in my flat contact soon as possible. I broke down crying wishing the situation would end.

My sister text me asking what is going on, I told her. I then fled back to my mother’s home with my daughter. My sister and I went back to the flat to pick up some more gear and she could sense an atmosphere in my flat.

I thought staying at my parent’s house would help. The dark entity had followed me there too. Only I could sense it. Whilst in bed it kept bombarding me with its energy. My parents thought I was loosing it. They could not understand what I was going through. It was a living nightmare. Whilst everyone was asleep it would follow me. It was not friendly. I had ago sleeping downstairs on the sofa. I kept calling out to God, to Archangel Michael, to spirit guides, guardian angels, to Jesus. I did this again and again. A grey mass of energy hung in the living room, being kept back what I was saying. I would say I am love, I am light, I am a child of God leave me alone. I had ago attacking it with my mind energy really focusing when it was in my body. I was so exhausted. I was afraid to fall asleep. I knew I had to. On one morning I got only got one hour sleep, then my mum woke me as she came home from a very early shift of work. I felt wrong. I glanced around myself, I felt wrong. I felt distant, detached somehow. Then I felt a burning heat right through my body. My mother was concerned and did not know how to help me. When I got up I was close to fainting. I felt as if I was possessed at the time.

I ended up going to doctors and he just gave my antidepressants for high anxiety and sleeping tablets. That helped. I also forced myself to ignore the entity and sensations. After a week at my parent’s home, I went back to normal and the sensations stopped.

I went back home I was fine again. I had a reoccurrence end of February. Energy seemed different it seemed sexual in nature making feel me uncomfortable. I bought a black crystal Tourmaline which supposed to absorb negative energy. I did smudging again. I did this for a few days. I also did a routine of morning and night bubble protection and ignoring the dark energy, it went. I no longer have this problem.

I do now sense Tom; his energy is different, more subtle, quiet and loving.

15. RudeAwakening I have no idea where I picked up this entity. It was horrible because at first I thought it was my beloved Tom trying to make an after death communication. It felt so cruel the way all this happened. It was just right after the loss of my partner, our dog and my home. So this made my grieving worse. I felt a complete loss of control of my life.

I wish I knew how I picked this up. Was my vibration level that low with the darkest grip of grief? Have I been so desperate longing for contact from Tom that left me open to these things? Had I moved into a ‘haunted’ flat and disturbed something? When I moved in to my flat, there was a cardboard cross placed upon the wall of a storage room. I took it down because it was odd. Why did the previous tenant place the cross up in the first place?

16. Skye

Skye Member

Hi Linda,

The loss of your partner, your dog and your home would certainly have had a devastating impact on your outlook to life. The Law of Attraction is always in operation. Therefore it's likely the sad and distressing circumstances you experienced, along with the feelings of lack of control, could have been the reason or perhaps the cause as to why a mischievous entity was attracted to you. It went with you to your parent's home because your thoughts remained on his or her level. As soon as you decided to regain control of the situation, the entity would naturally begin to lose interest. This is because your new thoughts flowed on a higher vibration than it could attain, so the attraction had ceased to be of interest.

You could have tried various methods to clear your home, but I doubt they would have worked if your thoughts had remained on a lower vibration than usual. The image of the white light may have altered and supported your over all perception of the situation, for the positive outcome to take place.

17. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Wow, that is quite an experience! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. It sounds an earthbound spirit somehow decided to start harassing you. Typically, earth bounds that are aware of what's going on are trying to satisfy their craving and addictions from earthly life, so it is possible that it thought it could vicariously do that, through you.

As Skye says above, it is likely that your negative outlook on life, although completely understandable, did lower your spiritual vibration level. In that case, it would be far easier for nasty beings to be attracted to you. The Law of Attraction is a very powerful thing. If the entity was actually already in your flat, which is entirely possible, it would have just made it easier for it to taunt you.

I'm glad that you were finally able to get rid of it!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

That's a little extreme, don't you think? :cool:

I assume that you are primarily talking about Roberta and me, right? Everything thing that we have said about "possession" was picked up from several, independent accounts that we have read; the few small studies that have actually been done; and what Mikey has said about it. I really don't see where the generalizations are, especially the "dangerous" ones.

19. What you say Skye makes a lot of sense. I did try to imagine a white light as well as self protection techniques, but like you say the state of my own thoughts and feelings may have render this almost useless. I was at rock bottom, utterly at rock bottom and experiencing this entity exasperated that much more. By nature I am normally a happy cheerful person who has a daft sense of humour. Thankfully I am a lot better now. Feeling much brighter and I even had some sessions with a bereavement counsellor who believed what I was going though. I have turned my self around. What worked for me in the end was to completely ignore this entity, focus on doing happy things, do regular meditation and self protection techniques to get my vibration level back to normal.

20. Thank you Linda for sharing your story with us. Stirring those memories can be uncomfortable. Everything you talked about is very familiar to me except for the sense of sexual intent from the spirit. Although I understand that is also quite common. I don’t often read about spirit attacks for the same reasons I don’t watch horror movies, but your story is the only one I’ve seen that resembles mine. The sleep depravation, the efforts to disrupt and replace your thoughts and several other things you brought up.

As you mentioned, the sleep medication and anti-depressants would most definitely be effective in weakening this sort of connection. Unfortunately I had foolishly convinced myself that sleep meds would be like admitting there was a problem and I was busy pretending there wasn’t one. (I also took advice from stupid people in that area but that’s neither here nor there now.) Sleep meds would have made all the difference with me as nothing weakens us like sleep depravation.

You’re story has great value in that you were able to rid yourself of what appeared to be a very sticky and stubborn entity with “relative” ease and fairly quickly. I wonder if there aren’t so many possible variables in these spirit attacks that in many cases it can be quite a challenge to figure out exactly how to get rid of it. Medication will always take the edge off, no spirit is a match for tranquilizers and pain killers, but only a temporary one. Besides, medical science will want to label you in such circumstances.

What Skye says makes a lot of sense regarding random attacks such as this. At any rate I am very glad this didn’t drag out with you and you are proficient at spirit defense. Thanks again for sharing, we now know that what appears to be a real sticky bastard can indeed be thwarted with relative ease.

One last thing, was it able to affect your heartbeat? When it kept me awake at night my heart was always thumping out of my chest. It wasn’t out of fear so much as it was able to physiologically make it pound somehow. (Show off. I still want to ring this things neck. I don't see it as human.)