1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

assorted points Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Carol and Mikey Q&A 'follow-on-discussions'' started by mac, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

There are always new people becoming bereaved and then having these peculiar things happen to them, then searching online, so I would have thought this site would keep going.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

The
    ALF will continue as long as there is sufficient reason but perhaps more as a resource for seekers rather than a discussion forum website.

Neither the recently bereaved nor long-time mourners may want to enter into conversation. For them the threads here, along with information in the 'Resources' section, may be all they need.

What's happened over the years on ALF, though, is exactly similar to what's happened on several other websites where I've been a regular; many of them have withered and/or died. I very much hope ALF doesn't go down that path.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

Such questions I've often posed for myself, Tim..... ;)

4. mac

mac Staff Member

In connection with the understanding of our survival et al, I've said to folk in the past that you can't ever 'unknow' what you've once come to know..... Sure you can turn your back on it, you can ignore it or even declare it ain't so, but inside you know what you know and that can't be erased. If I'm wrong then please someone explain why.

Unless I've got things very wrong and misunderstood what other teachers have taught, we don't go 'spiritually backwards'. I can accept we may come do a dead stop and find it hard to move any further forward until we've sorted out what's bugging progress but taking a step backward - then having to take action to regain lost ground - isn't something I've ever heard taught.

baob likes this.
  5. jobun

jobun New Member

I agree with you on these points mac. maybe we forget the lesson sometimes, but I don't feel that we lose something once we learn it. pretty much like you can't unsee what you saw....

6. mac

mac Staff Member

Perhaps what's missing is clear guidance about what 'spiritual progress' actually means?

I view the issues as follows: Each of us is a tiny 'spark' of the divine - a spark of God or of the great spirit or whatever word you use to mean the creator force that is the source of everything that is. Those tiny sparks are us. We are of the source, from the source and identically similar to the source. Our essence, then, is already spiritually perfect and mature just like the source.

The significant difference is that in the various dimensions, from the many lives we have, we experience as individuated spirit. The sum total of what we gain from all we experience/learn is carried along with us - not only as individuals but also shared with our soul group members - eventually back to source. This is somehow essential to source - please don't ask me why! I just accept that it is. :D

The upshot, then, of all the above - as I understand the situation - is that our individual spiritual progress is marked by our accumulation of learning from all the experiences we have. It's not down to our memorising what we learn because memory is just a small part of the experience/learning. As I understand things, what we carry back is 'loaded into' the psyches of each and every one of us tiny sparks of the divine and once there is there forever.

Maybe I'm right(ish) and maybe I'm wrong but until someone comes along with a more persuasive version mine is the one that works for me. ;):)

jobun and baob like this.
  7. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

There are also people like me, with a very longstanding interest in the topic.

8. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

genewardsmith, as a scientist and scholar, how much of the spiritualist stuff do you like to consider as having any validity: the idea of the progress of souls and so on, as detailed by mac above?