1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

assisted to die

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Should there be legalised medical assistance?

1. no

14.3%
  2. yes with safeguards

85.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac

mac regular contributor Staff Member

It's become all about you as usual, not about general principles that apply to anyone. just jimrich and his story.... :rolleyes:

Others will vote according to their wishes and speak, or not speak, as they choose. Let's leave it to someone else to speak, eh, jimrich ?

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I can't find myself accepting the notion of physician-assisted (or not-physician-assisted) suicide. But goodness, isn't there a possible middle way? Can't we make it standard to allow people who are old or terminally ill to die naturally, and preferably at home or in home-like hospice conditions?

Amore likes this.
  3. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I can only speak from and about my own personal experience here.
    I don't know if a hospice or home death would have been any better for Irene than the comfort, expertise and equipment that was available at the hospital ICU but I guess I could have just left Irene here in our apartment to die a perfectly horrifying and painfully SLOW yet natural death rather than have the professionals help her commit suicide. Of course it was not suicide at all! Irene did not want to be kept artificially alive with machines once she was in a comma so if you want to call that committing suicide, so be it. I think of SUICIDE as either a very hasty, foolish act or a very wise and timely act, depending on the circumstances.
    I can think of several but hesitate to mention them in this already HEATED thread.
    I don't know who or what this "we" is but if you are asking me, of course I want to make it possible for ANYONE to die (or commit suicide) any way they wish. It's your life! In a technical sense, Irene did die "naturally" but was made more comfortable by the ICU staff when her organs failed. Our brother in law, Jimmy, was sent home to die "naturally" of the inoperable cancer that painfully ended his life. I guess nobody had the guts to "help" him die comfortably so he just layed there at home and slowly died a horrible, cancerous death!
    Re: "...die....at home or in home-like hospice conditions", please say some more about your concepts for such an ideal death.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has personally watched a loved one or pet slowly and "naturally" die at home, in a hospice or at a hospital (with professional help). Our Advance Directive do not mention "suicide". They only mention NO life support equipment and as little pain as possible.

4. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Roberta, what are your plans or expectations for the end of your life or that of someone close to you? Have you made up an Advance Directive? Would you want to be assisted to cross over or have someone that you love be assisted to cross over? Perhaps "assisted transition" is a better term here. I hope you do not see this as prying into your business or raising the topic of suicide. I am interested to see how anyone, with actual experience, handles or will handle DEATH. But then, most of us at this forum, already know that there is no actual DEATH. - just a natural "transition". Respectfully yours, jim

5. mac

mac regular contributor Staff Member

This poll is not about machine assisted living or Advance Directives and an Advance Directive can't mandate someone else to end a person's life. This thread is about the situation where a medically qualified person would take prescribed steps deliberately to bring to an end the life of another - effectively to actively end the life of that individual.

Some US states allow it already, Canada passed a limited law last year and Dignitas in Switzerland has been operating for some time. I expect there are other places. Should the rest of us enjoy a similar situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.