1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

assisted to die

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Should there be legalised medical assistance?

1. no

14.3%
  2. yes with safeguards

85.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac

mac regular contributor Staff Member

If you had the opportunity to vote whether your state, province, region or country should allow medical assistance to die, how would you vote?

This poll is also open to non-members of ALF - please use your vote.

2. mac

Assuming legalities were acceptable and safeguards were in place would you be comfortable with medical assistance being provided to help someone wishing to end their life?

3. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I would and I did.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  4. mac

We can't 'force' someone to remain alive. If their time is up no human can extend it. But doctors can do, and do do, everything in their power to help someone stay alive - that follows from the Hypocratic Oath they generally take.

Laws also help those unable to help themselves let's not forget - it's not just about "pleasing" the law. This poll is not about machine assisted living or Advance Directives and an Advance Directive can't mandate someone else to end a person's life. This thread is about the situation where a medically qualified person would take prescribed steps deliberately to bring to an end the life of another - effectively to actively end the life of that individual.

Some US states allow it already, Canada passed a limited law last year and Dignitas in Switzerland has been operating for some time. I expect there are other places. Should the rest of us enjoy a similar situation?

5. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I don't know who or what this "we" is but the ICU doctors "intubated" Irene to FORCE her to stay alive when they could not do any more procedures on her. I showed them her Advance Directive to let them know that she did not want to be kept alive with machines and then I enforced her wishes by having the staff "let" her die!
    That is what the ICU doctors were doing until I requested that they honor Irene's written wishes and disconnect the unwanted life support machinery. Irene's family backed me up so the staff kindly followed Irene's Directive. (They knew she was beyond saving anyway!)
    Well our Advance Directives require that we are NOT kept alive with machines so that is a kind of "mandate" to end our lives, depending on how you read it.
    And that is exactly what the ICU staff did - in a very smooth and humane way, with Irene's entire family standing by her bed side, the ICU nurses took all the PRESCRIBED STEPS to deliberately, actively and effectively END Irene's life! I signed a few forms to authorize the process and the staff professionally followed through. A lot of tears fell in the ICU that night!
    I will be enjoying it when the time comes and Irene is extremely happy that the medical staff helped her leave the way that they did. She loves it over there and would not have wanted to stay here in all of those horrible and painful conditions.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Amore likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.