1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Another newbie saying hi

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Jimmy, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but not the subject. I have researched much over the years. Like many others, I am just trying to make sense of it all. I was about 95% convinced in some sort of afterlife, but I continuously try to find reasons why not to believe, for no other reason than to hope I explored them all and dismissed them. This is too important a question to be less than 100% sure, which I know I may never get too. Well I am going to look around and post here and there if I think I can offer any thoughts or insight. Thank you!

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Welcome! We hope you find ALF interesting.

3. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Welcome, Jimmy! I think the disbelief that plagues us comes from the secular, non-believing society in which most of us have been raised. With all the fascinating psychic experiences I've had (and reincarnational memories of other lives), I still get the doubts now and then too. My husband and most of our friends are atheists and that negativity can't help but wear off on me. They also 'believe' in science in a way that to me feels like fundamentalist religious beliefs--I call it "scientism" and try not to judge them for doing it. But it's hard, because they're appalled by my spirituality and, though they try to hide it, it sneaks through in conversation.

My way of handling my own episodes of disbelief is to read all I can on life after death and other spiritual topics and to come here where I can discuss them without being looked down upon.

Re: your hope to achieve 100% certainty--I'm not sure most of us ever get there. Maybe be easier on yourself and just resolve to work on it while you're here. Perhaps certainty would work against some of the lessons you're here to work on. But in any event, I'm so glad you found your way here.

4. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Hi Widdershins, thank you for your thoughts, I completely agree. What are some of the experiences you speak of? I myself find the greatest proof in actual experiences.

5. Amore

Amore Active Member

Ha you took the words right out of my mouth! It's the only way you can be 100% sure something is real. And even then, as Widdershin points out, our rational mind still manages to instil doubt every now and then.

pandora97 likes this.
  6. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I personally have not had a ton of relevant experiences, at least nothing to the point of convincing, but I like to hear of others experiences. Especially if they are just regular people. I hate it when on YouTube I watch an awesome experience video, and then at the end they start pitching a book or a website. I am not saying the experiences didn't happen, just that I have no choice but to take them with a grain of salt because like it or not, there could be other motives there.

7. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

The sad thing I'm finding - in my position of old fart onlooker - is that folk may not search for stuff that's not on the web. When I started researching there wasn't a web yet there is no shortage of material 'out there' in non-cyber space. The social media aren't the only media. YouTube is fabulous for finding 'stuff' but isn't the only source of valuable information. Anyone can look elsewhere but it seems many have forgotten how...

I've quoted Jimmy's words but my response has general relevance for anyone in a similar situation.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

The psychic stuff (mostly precognition and clairvoyance) that I had until my mid-20's was so numerous that it would take ages to recall and list them. But visits to mediums back then were big influences on belief in an afterlife. One woman told me about a serious knee problem that my grandfather had, but never spoke of to me, but that was verified by my grandmother, for example.

And right after my son died late in 1982 I was taken in a vivid dream to visit him in the Summerland where he was recuperating. It was completely unlike a regular dream and it felt as if we'd just been together. After decades, it's still sharp and stands out in my mind like a memory of an amazing event, not like a dream.

I've also written in many places here about the past life dreams that I've had--if you do a search for my posts, they should be findable. One of them I dreamed of and had real world psychic events about, including being able to identify actual historical people with whom she interacted. The dream was so vivid and memory-like that I even recalled details about the people that were so obscure that it took years to find evidence of them. I had very precise knowledge of the town (Virginia City, Nevada) that I was able to confirm when I visited the place. It's nothing like the version I grew up seeing on TV in Bonanza. And I knew the location of a private Silver Bonanza kings' club where she used to deliver messages from a banker named William Sharon.

I had no idea where he was buried, but once went to a huge Victorian cemetery in Colma, CA years back, with friends who knew nothing of that past life and somehow walked directly to his grave. The shock of seeing that familiar name carved into stone was profound. So that experience alone would have convinced me of the reality of life after death and of reincarnation, I think, even without the rest.

Nirvana likes this.
  9. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Thanks, I will be sure to look up some of your posts.

10. Rising

Rising Member

Welcome to the forum Jimmy, I hope you enjoy going through the threads, theres plenty to catch up on here !