1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

and now for something very similar

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by mac, Mar 2, 2018.

1. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Many websites or forums can be found with the words spirit or spiritual in their title. They often cover a multitude of interests and the adjective 'spirit' or 'spiritual' at one extreme may just mean 'not of the material' or at the other extreme be used to describe life at levels which challenge our understanding.

Many people use the word 'spirit' when they really mean individuals who are very much alive but not in-the-body. But the word spirit may also be used to describe the very energy which gives substance, form or life to everything we see - and everything we can't. The creator of all things, or 'God', may even be referred to as The Great Spirit.

Many websites have sections which deal with life after physical death and ways of communicating with those who have passed over; the words mediums, psychic, sensitive and channelers are frequently mentioned. Sometimes the ideas involved are confused and confusing.

What follows is an attempt to simplify, clarify and perhaps define them and explain how they are often used.

Mediums

One of the simplest definitions of a medium could be: 'A person who facilitates communication between someone in the world-of-the-spirit and someone who isn't.'

Certain mediums have conveyed the words and teachings of spiritually-evolved teachers and guides. Such guidance is not personal and applies to humankind generally. In the past details about the nature of life after death, and the dimensions in which we live, have been communicated in just such ways. This might be called teaching or philosophical mediumship. Guides and teachers often say they have experienced life on earth.

When information is communicated through a medium there is always a risk of coloration from the mind of the medium. The more developed is the relationship between the sender and the medium (as was the case with certain trance mediums) the better may be the minimisation of coloration from personal or cultural bias, prejudice, belief etc.

Mediums found in the religion and philosophy of Modern Spiritualism often act as 'go-betweens'. They act both for their 'sitter' (the seeker/enquirer) and for those in the unseen world wishing to connect with her or him. They may be called evidential mediums because they gain from the communicator evidence of identity along with information the receiver finds personally relevant. A medium may (for example) use clairvoyance (seeing, describing) and/or clairaudience (hearing) to acquire details which authenticate the message.

Sensitives

A sensitive may be thought of as someone able to sense the presence of unseen individual(s) in another dimension of existence. The unseen individual(s) may, or may not, have lived on this earth.

A sensitive may communicate with an unseen discarnate but if (s)he doesn't act as a third-party go-between for others, (s)he would not be classed as a medium. Any information or guidance would be primarily for the benefit of the sensitive.

Psychics

One way to think of a psychic is as an individual able to 'pick up' information from both discarnate and incarnate individuals – from 'spirits' or from ourselves. They do not act as a go-between for communication as a medium does. This may explain the saying “All mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums.”
    Some psychics may use what they learn, in conjunction with interpersonal skills and abilities, to counsel or advise a sitter.

Channelers

Channeling is a technique that became more widely recognized a few decades back. Channelers claim to communicate the words of discarnate entities, some of whom have not had earth existences. It may appear similar to mediumship but one difference is that evidential communication seems rare - communicators do not appear to have familial or friendship links to the receiver. They may be described as Ascended Masters or as named angels and archangels and may say they have not experienced incarnate life here.

Although one channeler may suggest her/his communicator is their personal 'guide', another channeler may act simply as an uninvolved go-between. When this happens it may be seen as similar to mediumship.

2. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Mac, I think your definitions and clarifications will help many get a better, clearer understanding; they sure helped me, and I thank you. Would it be possible to make your post a "sticky"?
    Now, still on the subject of ADCs, I read/heard that some discarnate will show images to convey messages or use such images to "prove" it's really them to a grieving loved one. Others will communicate "verbally" with the medium, basically having a conversation. Why the difference? The mediums who can hear those who have transitioned, do they possess the gift of clairaudience, whereas those who are shown images/scenes do not possess that gift?
    I ask because I've heard mediums says, "He is showing me a ----"; others will say, "She's telling me that you should go ahead and----"
    Would love to read your opinion of this.
    Thank you, mac! :)

3. mac

tomorrow......:);)

4. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

:cool: Thanks!

5. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

May the sensed presence of the unseen individual include the revelation of scenes from the future in whatever dimension they exist in?

6. mac

I'm unable to answer that question other than to say "maybe".

No-one can discount another's personal experience but the nature of such experience isn't the subject of the conversation.

7. mac

My pleasure to offer these further thoughts.

I'm a simple guy and use the term 'medium' simply to describe what a practitioner does but not the way she does it. :)

Your description of clairvoyance and clairaudience is certainly the way I understand those words and mediums may use either or both attributes. I'm aware, though, that others see 'clairvoyance' as something different, yet another example of how one word can mean different things to individuals. I expect some members will also have heard of other 'clair' attributes.

It appears some of our friends and family unseen communicate in whatever way they can to show their continuing existence. I suppose that just as with us incarnates, some discarnates communicate better than others.

ravensgate likes this.
  8. mac

Yes, the thread is already a sticky one. :)

ravensgate likes this.
  9. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Sorry 'bout that, but I think there might be something tremendous happening in my life and I don't want to carelessly allow it to slip by, so I just wondered a little bit.

10. mac

YOU are hardly likely to allow "something tremendous happening in your" to slip by.... ;)

11. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I wanted to say something, but you said above that the nature of such an experience isn't the subject of the conversation.:)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Radical Transparency likes this.
  12. mac

Why not, then, open a thread to make your point?

13. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I was going to, but I don't really like to make the opening comment. I found a thread where I may be able to post what I want to say:signs and messages from the other side. I'll see if my thoughts fit in there.

14. mac

That should work fine. :)

15. Skye

Skye Member

Hi ravensgate, I hope you don't mind me posting. My experience has given me the confidence to reply to your question. Nonetheless, what I say is my opinion, and as often is the case other people can disagree with my comments.

Every medium communicating with a spirit person will do so by applying at least one of the 3 most commonly known psychic abilities: clairsentience, clairaudience and clairvoyance. Most mediums usually use a combination of each ability during a demonstration of mediumship. Although it's fair to say that one of these faculties may be stronger than the other 2 therefore, the deciding factor is they will use the strongest faculty available to ensure a sitting goes as smooth as possible.

So, for example, when a medium says to a recipient "He is telling you of how they passed..." it's likely they are working clairaudiently.

Clairvoyance means the communicator in spirit is showing the medium whatever information they wish to express to the recipient. I would like to add that with clairvoyance, it is the medium's job to interpret the image. This alone can or may lead to misinterpretation on the medium's part whereby, the intended communication from the spirit person is wrongly delivered and the recipient can not acknowledge this as being factual evidence so, a medium will more than likely receive a "No" from the sitter.

ravensgate likes this.
  16. mac

It's nice you're around, B. I had wondered about asking you to contribute to this thread but hadn't seen you here for some time and didn't want to bother you.

17. Skye

Skye Member

Hi K :) Nice to see you too. I'm popping in and out, though it seems more as a lurker these days on some sites. You never bother me, mac, appreciate your thoughts though.

18. mac

19. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Thank you, Skye; what you shared makes sense to me :)

20. Skye

Skye Member

You're most welcome ravensgate :)