1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

AI development - Putting life into the robot

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by ian991, Nov 15, 2017.

1. ian991

ian991 New Member

There are such a wonderful robots in the world already developed, and it is going to be nuts in the future!
    Stephen Hawkings talked at the web summit in Lisbon about AI, and if robots are going to improve the humanity, or destroy it.
    Those robots are going to be a clear copy of the human, which is similar to Matrix the movie.
    What are you thinking about future with robots?

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Robots will be part of our future but just as we didn't anticipate years ago many of the scientific devices that govern and enhance life nowadays, the likelihood is that we won't accurately guess what robotic devices and AI will do for us in future years.

I loved 'Matrix' and the concepts there but don't expect matrix-like bots to eventually dominate our world. Like as not bots will be used in many ways that have yet to emerge. Those of us old enough will remember the developmentof the common-or-garden commercial device and the uncertainty over what it might be used for. Who could ever have guessed at their ubiquitous use in commonplace electronic devices but also in the most sophisticated medical and investigational tools?

There's nothing clear about the kind of robots that will enhance our lives.

3. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

What will be will be. Life is life-ing in whatever way She wishes, so just do the best you can........

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Consciousness does not arise from matter, but rather matter arises from consciousness. The most gigantic brain ever concocted is the world wide web, and no matter how complex and enormous it becomes there is no hint that it ever well become conscious! So AI is a curiosity, but it's not ever going to be anything other than humanity's very limited servant.

kim marine likes this.
  5. Club Tropicana

Club Tropicana New Member

If we build a sufficiently intelligent AI with a brain that is built like ours but overtakes ours in terms of its data processing capabilities (perhaps we use double the neurons in the regions of the brain associated with intelligence such as problem solving etc) would that AI not then become conscious and have the potential to make us it's servant? Wouldn't it essentially be indistinguishable from a supremely intelligent human?

I'm not so sure that a fully conscious AI copy of myself couldn't be built, I see no reason why it couldn't be or what would be special about my organic brain that an AI brain couldn't replicate.

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

In a word: NO. You are assuming that your brain is the source of your consciousness, which is like assuming that your TV is the source of the evening newsman. Matter never has and never will generate consciousness!

Consciousness is the base energy, so it is the origin of matter and not the other way around. Max Planck is the father of quantum mechanics, for which he won the 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics, and he said as much straight-out!

In 1931 he said, ”I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”

He said in 1944, “As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.”

Your brain is a two-way radio in the head of a meat-robot. It receives the signal of your mind and it communicates back to your mind, but your mind is nowhere near your body. It is now, always has been, and always will be part of the Mind that continuously manifests this universe.

kim marine and Amore like this.
  7. Amore

Amore Active Member

I think the question is (or at least my question is): could a consciousness choose to incarnate into a robot? I don't see it as a vastly different way to incarnating into a 'meat-robot', as Roberta calls it above, if the robot is sufficiently complex and developed to 'house' the incarnating spirit. But maybe dis-incarnate spirits prefer a body made of flesh and the emotional ties to the mother, parents, family etc for the earthly experience. I don't know ...

8. mac

May I ask you what you think a "consciusness" to be? Now consider that compared with the regular situation.

We humans consist of physical bodies animated by individual spirits. Those components are inseparable and interdependent - the body provides expression for the spirit until the point of corporeal death. The spirit doesn't incarnate into a body - an incarnation begins when the animating spirit interpenetrates the developing foetus (or an earlier point) inside the mother. That mechanism may be similar for animals but not applicable to an inanimate object.

9. Amore

Amore Active Member

With 'a consciousness' I meant an individual spirit.

Yet there are instances of 'walk-ins' where one spirit leaves a body for whatever reason and another one takes over the same body, leaving out the whole process of "interpenetrating the developing foetus", so this does not seem to be a necessary step during incarnation. If a robot is sufficiently developed and complex enough I could imagine it to be able to function as a 'two-way radio' (as Roberta called it) for a consciousness/mind/spirit. And isn't a body made of flesh also an inanimate object unless and until a spirit incarnates? If the incarnation is aborted by the spirit for whatever reason you get a still born baby, which is an inanimate object. I see the only difference being in the material, flesh vs the materials used to create a robot, and I'm mulling the possibility that our bodies might not be the only suitable vehicle for a spirit to come 'down' to live a life on earth.

I might add that I find this a troubling thought though, and I hope it is not possible. :eek:

10. mac

If there is any such thing as a 'walk in' then one spirit transfers from one already mature body to another mature body - the fertiliastion/animation was already completed and operational.

Imagination is one thing, reality another.... You'll see in coming years if your theory has any value.

no

And living tissue is spirit-animated or it would be dead tissue.

A child that is still-born was alive before its death. An inanimate object was never alive.

You have much yet to learn and understand but you have all the time and resources in the world if you want to achieve that. If the notions you have are troubling it's mostly because of that lack of understanding. Only you can make the choice - fantasy or reality.

11. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I was so glad to read this Roberta! It is nice to have another earthling to back up my dreams. Because I don't believe there is actually any solidity to what we think is solid. I tell a few about this and they think I'm nuts, but now I will be able to say where the energy comes from to enable us to experience a physical world. Why would the Highest Power in the universe make this earth out of something that is temporary? Isn't that contradictive? I use to wonder and doubt the solidity of stuff when I was about 5 or 6 years old, but then I grew up and my wonder calmed down. THEN I experienced life in the Highest Power's invisible realm because of an NDE, and now I KNOW. Thanks to you Roberta, I will be able to say what I believe and say why I think the way I do!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Amore likes this.
  12. Amore

Amore Active Member

I don't understand this statement. Can you elaborate?