1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Adventures of a Reluctant Medium

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by reluctantmedium, Nov 7, 2018.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

my pleasure - I might have watched all through every minute of it but demonstrations nowadays don't have the appeal they used to have. Such a demonstration, however, can be very instructive for anyone new to the subject and give pointers on what they should expect from an experienced evidential medium.

Kurt likes this.
  2. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

I thought it was interesting, thanks Pandora. She said the right things to people who were upset. A lot of it was vague but people seemed satisfied. She was quite entertaining to watch. I know you're advised to conceal identity so that a medium can't get information on you in advance. I'm not on social media, but then you also have to keep a neutral expression so as they can't just be led along by you that way. It all sounds so cloak and dagger at a time when you might be feeling quite theatrical anyway to be consulting a medium.

Kurt likes this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

A reputable medium has no need to research their audience, even if that were possible. The customary way mediums prefer audience members to react is to be friendly ideally - who wants hostility? - to answer honestly and as accurately as possible (can be hard in such situations) but not to volunteer information.

It can be unsatisfying for listeners but often details can appear vague because they're not involved and/or because they relate only to the target of those details. And even the target may find it hard to think quickly enough to identify who the medium may be talking about or can be overwhelmed by emotion. Details may be recognised later when the recipient is no longer under the pressure of appearing in public.

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

I should clarify again by repeating what I'm forever saying somewhere or other.

A 'medium' to me is a facilitator of communication between a discarnate - a spirit - and an incarnate, a human. (or a number of humans) Hence the practitioner may be an 'evidential medium' (as above, providing information to help identify a communicator) a philosophical or teaching medium who communicates general guidance and teaching from spiritually-advanced discarnates (but not for a specific individual) or even a healing medium, someone who acts as a conduit for spiritual healing energy, often simply called 'a healer'.

The modes of mediumship - clairvoyant, clairaudient, physical or whatever - are not important.

Kurt likes this.
  5. mac

mac Staff Member

The thread's wandered way off-topic now although there was a short, interesting center section about mediumship, the core subject of the thread.

It leaves me wondering, though, exactly why the person who started this thread came here in the first place. What was that all about? A long spiel about herself and that's it. Perhaps she needs a blog rather than being here. I give up trying to understand some folk.

Kurt likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

It's not a problem and I was anyway about to create a new thread for anyone to log their ideas (predictions) for the future so there'll be a semi-permanent record if anyone remembers and wants to look back.

I would, though, like this thread to continue in the 'medium' vein although there may not be much else to say for now.

Kurt likes this.
  7. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

I am a reluctant answerer to this question... I..mm

8. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Thanks, mac, sorry, I meant how to behave during a private sitting. Some reviewers of mediums suspect that names of family members and other specifics have been viewed beforehand on social media. Fortunately I don't use that so I can just be myself. It's very noticeable that these reviews are so mixed. Some people are knocked sideways and others very disappointed. I will just have to suppress my instinct to feel a bit mad to be doing this.
    I think the girl who started this thread sounded genuinely spooked by what had happened to her as a result of taking photos of graves for a family research website. Unfortunately it can only remain a mystery as there is no way to explain these things.

Kurt likes this.
  9. mac

mac Staff Member

OK - private sittings are different, of course, but the same basic principles I outlined apply.

Add to those principles the need for caution about whether any supposed information is from the communicator or whether it's being picked up from the sitter (psychic reading) and being relayed back by the practitioner as if it's from a communicator. Identifying a communicator to your full satisfaction is vitally important for you to feel persuaded.

Mediums can't guarantee they'll be able to provide their sitter's hoped-for communicator. Any who suggest/imply they can should be treated with caution. There's nothing mad about seeking about a medium. It's natural to hope for communication with a loved one or friend but it's wise to be realistic once you know how things happen. It's not uncommon, however, for someone you don't expect or even can't identify to turn up but in such cases details of identification should be provided for later research. Confirmation of an unknown person's identity away from the seance room can be the most persuasive of evidence of survival.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

As she's not returned to engage with us it's not fair for me to say any more about her experiences but you're wrong about the situation being a mystery and there most certainly can be explanations.