1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

A sad and worrying dream

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Maria, Sep 24, 2017.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

NO LOVE IS GENERIC. Period. Exclamation point.

I am sorry for everyone who believes what you do about humanity, dear Goldie, but believe what you like if it comforts you! I ask only that people who care at all for the elevation of human consciousness altogether disregard this whole line of thinking. How is it possible for anyone to be so incredibly self-absorbed as to want to deny post-death happiness to those we love? As the King of Siam so memorably said, it is indeed a puzzlement.

2. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Maria, based on your own words: "I now feel doubly bereaved. ...it has compounded my grief....This dream has really set me back further in my depression as I feel an even greater separation from Peter than before. And even if this woman is “a friend” as Bluebird suggested, I feel a change has taken place in my relationship with Peter."...
    Jim: I can only assume that the "negative change" in the relationship is caused by your dream about Peter cheating on you. Since it's a dream and not a verifiable fact, I'd see a Medium to find out exactly what Peter is actually doing now over in the Afterlife.
    good luck and wishing you better and happier dreams or at least a factual reading.......

3. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Please speak for your self. I know what goes on over there!

4. milahanna

milahanna Member

No one knows for sure. Even our very own interpretations can be way off.

enby and bluebird like this.
  5. milahanna

milahanna Member

I couldn't agree with Goldie more. She's far from being self absorbed. Why must you always be so judgmental? You haven't walked through this kind of grief. She is a grieving widow who I have personally spoken to. She has helped me more than any of the afterlife material out there. She has been the most patient, understanding and loving person to me during my grief.

She's right, the love that the New Age pushes IS very generic. I have spoken with numerous people who have sensed the same and have been hurt by it. Of course we want them to be happy, but this generic love for all where they are skipping through the cosmos without a care in the world for those who grieve them is unloving. It's disconnected and the idea has not helped one single person whom I've spoken to that is truly grieving.

The idea that they have a different perspective because they know we will join them eventually is a temporary bandaid to a very obvious problem. I could not be happy there if I knew my loved ones were hurting here. I wouldn't care if I knew that one day they would join me and be happy. Their pain here and now would be enough to pull me back down from the self absorbed euphoria of the afterlife to reality. You bet that I would do anything I could to bring them comfort and reassurance. That's what love does. It acts.

enby and bluebird like this.
  6. RobertaGrimes

I am trying to understand your gripe with me. Perhaps you can help me here. Apparently you consider it to be fine for Goldie to attack me personally because I disagree with her? And it's "judgmental" if I tell her that is unacceptable?

And what does "the love that the New Age pushes" have to do with me, or with this website?

Why is the love that we have come here to learn - the whole thing that those that we used to think were dead consistently tell us that we are here to learn, the love that actually elevates human consciousness and is the only thing now that can save this planet - why is that foremost and most essential love of all considered by you to be merely "generic"?

Apparently you consider it to be impossible for people who love us and have gone home before we do to be happy to be at home at last, and for them to be at peace with knowing that very soon (there is no time there, remember) their grieving loved ones will be joining them in a beautiful reality where love never ends. Do you have any evidence that supports this belief of yours?

They DO try to bring us love and comfort. They ARE concerned about those they leave behind, and I have never said otherwise. What I object to - strongly! - is the insistence by some that the fact that we are grieving must of necessity destroy the happiness and peace of people that we profess to love. I cannot imagine ever thinking that way! Love wants the happiness of the beloved, or it is not actually love at all.

7. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I know for sure. Prove that I don't! What I know and have seen is not simply an "interpretation" - it'a a FACT. We do not die! We are essentially eternal or infinite being or essence. This is not simply my opinion.
    Speaking for myself, I find most the "love" taught by some of the "New Age" philosophers to be way more meaningful and useful than much of the so-called "love" that came before it but then, I have a way different and better definition or understanding of "love" than I ever had before. I'd be interested in your definition of "love" as you are using it here.
    Exactly how has someone been "hurt" by the New Age generic love? IMO, anything and anyone can "hurt" someone if they ALLOW themselves to be "hurt".
    The afterlife material and my direct experiences have shown me that life goes on and my loved ones are still alive and well in the non-physical plane which gives/gave me much relief and joy to replace the ego-centered "grief" I was feeling over MY (personal) losses. I came to see that my little ego is more hurt about a loss than anything else. Knowing my late wife and some others are still alive and well has given me great joy, happiness and peace.
    The Dis-incarnates that I personally know are not simply "skipping through the cosmos without a care in the world for those who grieve them" but are actually quite involved with and concerned about all of us Incarnates over here. The "love" they show and give us is quite different from and much better than what we call "love" in the physical plane but that begs for a clearer and broader interpretation of the term "love". What us Incarnates call "love" is very often anything but love.
    I am sorry about your loss and grief but the New Age concepts have helped me and a lot others that I currently know so I guess it all comes down to personal experience and how one applies any teaching or concept to relieve grief, pain, etc. If the "New Age" teachings don't work, I'd find some that do work or create my own.
    What "problem"? As near as I can tell, the only "problem" is that our unhappy, hurting ego cannot accept that it has lost something and yet noting has been lost.
    The Dis-incarnates that I know over in the afterlife are not living in "self absorbed euphoria" and the afterlife is also "reality" - in it's own way. They are very busy in many loving and helpful activities there and also here. You keep using the term "love" ["That's what love does."] as though it has some kind of universal definition that you and everyone fully understands. Please offer us your definition or interpretation of the term "love" to make this dialogue more focused or significant. For me, "love" has a vast array of meanings depending on how I apply that word in a dialogue. There can be "love" in even the most horrifying, painful and unacceptable of circumstances in life so the word "love" is loaded with possibilities and meanings - just like the word "god".
    I find it nearly impossible to talk or write about anything without clearly defining some words and phrases (semantics) and the word "love" is the most problematic of all, IMO.

8. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I came here to learn or simply experience: patience, joy, empathy, friendship, peace, kindness, generosity, happiness, goodness, honor, dignity, responsibility, nobility, courage and a lot of other positive things which I can also simply call: "love", so the term love has a huge array of meanings and uses for me beyond simply "love". It seems that most folks assume that "love" means the same thing to everyone so there is no need to clearly define the word when used wherever.
    For me, common sense, empathy or dignity wants the happiness of the beloved. The definitions and variations of "love" in this sentence could go on an on depending on who or what is using the term "love" and for what purpose or intent. I'd imagine this is well understood in the legal professions.

9. Maria

Maria New Member

I feel some regret for being the originator of this thread, as it has evolved into a divisive exchange of opinions which I never wanted or intended. I again sincerely thank everyone who took the time to read my post and for the various advice you provided, and Goldie, I am grateful to know that this type of dream is common for those whose partner has died. I have in fact recently had a telephone reading with a medium, and I feel she linked with Peter quite successfully. I did not receive an explanation about the dream, but what come across from Peter was a mixture of sadness and joy. He conveyed his sorrow that I am still experiencing intense grief and added his assurance of continuing love and that he is with me in spirit. His joy is to be free from the illness that caused his death, and his (untold) new life in the spirit world. Going by this reading for what it is worth, I think our deceased loved ones are not so selfish and forgetful that they are enjoy their wonderful new happiness in the afterlife without being aware and saddened that we are grieving for them. Moreover this is the case even though they know we will be with them in a timeframe that is shorter than our mortal minds can comprehend. I do not think my belief in what I said here, is anything of a “New Age” concept, and I am sure I would feel the same if I had been alive say in the 19th century and received this reading from a medium.

10. Nirvana

Nirvana Member

"I went into a session with an excellent medium...there were no questions asked by the medium. No fishing. No searching for confirmation. No generalizations. The session started within a couple minutes of our arrival and detailed personal information began to flow forth immediately. There was a strong change of personality on the medium's part at certain points; with the personality of the deceased clearly showing through in physical gestures, emotional qualities, facial expressions, etc.

A lot of the information would have made for daring guesses if the medium was only guessing; daring because there were some ugly truths involved that, if wrong, could have sent the sitters angerly stomping out the door. Also, the the level of detail involved would have made guessing truly hazardous to the perpetuation of fraud or fantasy.

It's one thing to guess "you eat cheesburgers". It's another to guess correctly "You were eating a cheeseburger two nights ago and some ketchup dripped off and made a stain on your white slacks, the same white slacks you wore on the airplane to your daughter's wedding".

The latter is the kind of detail I expected - and received - from the real medium."

From the comment section here: http://monkeywah.typepad.com/paranormalia/2013/01/michael-tymn-on-leonora-piper.html

11. RobertaGrimes

Nirvana, would you mind saying who it was? I'm sure that others would like to know!

Nirvana likes this.
  12. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Georgia O' Connor, upstate New York - I used to know her husband, Dennis, from another website. Think she does platform / public demos plus private sittings. Well known, don't know how competent.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  13. Nirvana

Nirvana Member

I believe it was indeed Georgia O'Connor from upstate New York

14. RobertaGrimes

Can you give us her contact information? I can't find anyone who has heard of her!

Nirvana likes this.
  15. bill zola

bill zola Member

Nirvana likes this.
  16. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Please do not feel regret; in my opinion, it was not your initial post, nor your subsequent posts, that are at fault for the divisiveness (nor are milahanna's, or Goldie's). I also don't think anything you've put forth here is even slightly "New Age".

That's wonderful that the telephone reading with the medium was such a success! You said about Peter that "He conveyed his sorrow that I am still experiencing intense grief and added his assurance of continuing love and that he is with me in spirit. His joy is to be free from the illness that caused his death, and his (untold) new life in the spirit world." If there is an afterlife in which our dead loved ones still exist, then I believe that this is the truest expression of what they are like, of what it is like for them.

17. Maria

Maria New Member

Thank you for your beautiful comments Bluebird, I found them both reassuring and uplifting.

18. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}
    You're very welcome. :)