1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

a good death

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by mac, Oct 2, 2019.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

Perhaps it's my age. Perhaps it's my now default curmudgeon status. Perhaps it's because I'm aware I might one day be a participant rather than an observer, the reverse of how much of my life has seemed to me.

Today on our UK news the death of a well-known individual was announced. It doesn't matter who it was but what made my ears prick up was a report that the family had thanked the medical team who fought gallantly to save him. Nothing unusual in that story I guess, but I do wonder if medical intervention goes a little too far at times trying to prevent the inevitable. Just how far further should medical intervention go when a body is so far compromised that death isn't something we should battle against? I hope I'm never in that situation but I'd hate to be kept going for just a while longer in a body that's just-about buggered. Probably wouldn't matter if I were mostly out of it, I suppose.....

I'm often uncomfortable when I learn how a terminal cancer sufferer has come under pressure from family to undergo further chemo or radio therapy, treatment that may have offered little more than a short extension to their life.

When an individual would remain or become so sick that quality of remaining life would be highly questionable, wouldn't it be better to provide support with good palliative care to achieve the 'best death' possible?

Auras and DenverGuy like this.
  2. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

In a word, yes. In my opinion, at least.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

thanks, bb. It's good to see you posting here on ALF. :)

I'm dismayed how little activity there now is on this website, presumably reflecting a lack of interest from established and new members alike. I guess we've covered a great number of subjects over the years and perhaps there's simply nothing more to talk about? Just the C&M Q&A thread attracts regular interest now.

This summer was quiet following a fairly quiet winter. Despite numerous new registrations over several months there has been little interest shown by new members. After registering most are not subsequently seen, the odd one announcing their arrival and excitement at being here but then not being heard from again.

I'm baffled but I've seen similar elsewhere and it's left me wondering if the aspect that is an attraction for me is a turn-off for others, that of a considered-contribution forum compared with social media's instant-on simplicity.

What is there to be done if folk simply prefer the post-and-run social media world of Twitter and Facebook. :(

4. jobun

jobun New Member

I believe a person should be allowed to die with dignity. We do it with our animals when they are too sick to go on, we should allow the person who is terminally ill to make that decision for themselves.

5. jobun

jobun New Member

and this brings me to another issue. My former sister in law is brain dead and on life support. It is left up to my 21 year old nephew to decide if they should remove life support or not. This is his mother. She isn't really alive anymore but for that poor kid to have to deal with this, OMG, I just don't know how he can. He found her, he administered CPR, now he has to decide whether to let her die or keep her body alive. In the end I'm sure he's going to let her go, but this is something he's going to wrestle with for the rest of his life.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

That's desperately tragic for him and whatever decision he makes he'll likely struggle afterwards to come to terms with what he's had to do. He'll also struggle to understand and accept why she ended her own life as she did. Even at three times his age I, too, would struggle to deal with such a desperately sad loss.

Without some understanding of survival whatever anyone says to try to help may come over as just so many irrelevant, meaningless words although some do draw comfort from their faith and from church. I hope he finds something to help him.

summer826 and jobun like this.
  7. mac

mac Staff Member

I support the right for any individual to choose when to end her life when illness puts survival out of the picture. But we DO have the right already to end our life although except in certain states and/or countries no-one is legally allowed to help, even to providing life-ending drugs.

I hope things will change but I'm not confident. Many are bitterly opposed to the notion and will fight to keep the status quo. Others have genuine concerns about pressure being felt by, or brought to bear on, sick and/or old folk. Time will tell if things are going to change and spiritually there's an issue anyway.

Humankind looks set to agonise over this issue for some time in my view.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    summer826 likes this.
  8. jobun

jobun New Member

to me, it's more of a selfish thing on the part of the person being left behind. If there is someone who is terminal, and decides not to take anymore drugs, I support that. especially since a lot of the time the drugs make the person feel even sicker.

9. jobun

jobun New Member

thank you mac. His step father just passed away a couple of weeks ago and he just returned to work when this happened to his mom. so it's a double tragedy for him. His biological dad is there for him, and hopefully this will help in getting him thru the initial stages. My heart just breaks for him.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

It can certainly seem selfish but isn't it because we are desperate not to lose someone we love? Even when chemo. etc. makes that person sicker but appears to prolong their life.....

DenverGuy and summer826 like this.