1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

10 Reasons Life May Be A Computer Simulation

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by vic smyth, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Read 'em and weep, folks, we may only be avatars in the ultimate Sim City game: http://listverse.com/2013/12/02/10-reasons-life-may-be-a-computer-simulation/. Had this been written by someone from the New Age lunatic fringe (like me), I would have viewed it as interesting and entertaining. But there are some very serious philosophers and scientists who are coming up with this.

I'm not saying that I buy this hook, line and sinker, but it does nudge my worldview. An though to many on this forum the idea of being an avatar in a computer simulation is repulsive, I would find it refreshing to know that all the insanity of this world is just a figment of some programmer's imagination and that when the game is over we return to a Good world, filled with Good people, created by a Good Creator, and that we are only experiencing imperfection through a simulation. But that's how people from the New Age lunatic fringe like me think...:cool:

If this were true, how would it change your life?

2. Okay, I'll go first. I would not take this life so seriously. It would help me to be more accepting and forgiving of others and myself knowing that it's only a game.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

3. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

I was thinking the other day what if we only think we are real because we are programmed to do so? I'm talking about the physical body and physical surroundings. And, people who think only the physical is real can't really prove their beliefs are true, as they argue everything comes from our brains. Because what if our brains are programmed to perceive physical life as real/solid when it is not? Then they can't really prove their case either. Fascinating.

4. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

I would live my life pretty much the same as I do now, even if this was true I already pretty much think that physical life is not really what it appears to be since everything physical is just a bunch of vibrating molecules that appear solid. From what I've read of many nde's people perceive things so differently in the spiritual realm than they do here. Things we think are so important here are not nearly as important there. Life has always felt more like a long soap opera or movie to me than a game but to me they are somewhat similar. I am here to play a part and trying to make the most of it;).

5. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

If I knew this idea were true, I would kill myself immediately so that I would "wake up".

6. I've read some theories on this before and believe there is a validity to parts of it. I do find it hard to believe that every action that we perform, every event that happens, is being controlled by some being with a joystick. If this is so, I'm not quite certain why they would have chosen such a monotonous simulation for so many of us?

I love playing video games, the main reason I enjoy many of them is because it's an escape from reality. Is this programmer(s) so bored that they thought to put together a sim where the bulk of their sims sleep 1/3 of the day, work another 1/3 (or more), and then frantically find ways to fill the final 1/3 of the day? I mean, c'mon, talk about the universe's most boring sim game!

Perhaps there are an infinite number of simulations running that are much cooler than ours, if so, can I hop over to one of those please? :) So if we are a simulation, then this article was written because somebody prompted their sim to do so. So they knew that by doing so that all the rest of the sims that read this article would become more confused. If there truly are beings controlling us in a simulation they seem to be quite the sadists in my opinion. Of course, that was just my controller telling me to say that. :)

Honestly, our existence boggles my mind and I am certain that I will never figure the bulk of it out in my "simulated" lifetime. As I stated in a post awhile back, I sincerely think it's hilarious how anyone thinks they have a grasp on it.

If this were true than it wouldn't change anything unless the person controlling me told me it should, right? :confused: I'm just gonna keep on living and not worry about possibilities like this. If we're truly sims I really want to believe we're some sort of sims with free will at the very least.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. william61

william61 New Member

Sounds like a ridiculous load of old cobblers to me ! Is evidence for some sort of afterlife/survival etc so weak that these other pathetic theories are able to be taken seriously in some quarters?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. Carol and Mikey

Carol and Mikey Golden Hearts

Interesting take on things no doubt. Not sure how free-will (which I know occurs with each of us) plays out in this type of a theory. Our choices can change a course for us or someone else.
    This does not account for the impact of love and loss that is experienced here and the feelings that go with it. Everyone's feelings can vary significantly in similar situations.
    Carol

9. So let me add another wrinkle: What if you are not only an avatar in a computer simulation but the programmer as well? And you decided to totally immerse yourself in your simulation to get a realistic experience (with a lifeline in case you get caught in an endless loop), to see if you can find any bugs in your program? What if at night, when your avatar thinks that it's asleep, that you are actually back Home making tweeks to your program before immersing yourself for another simulated day?

So there's your free will. Now how would you live your life differently?

10. I'll go first. I would learn as much as I can while immersed in this simulation, make note of where I feel that the game is too challenging, and re-write that part of the program when my avatar was in deep, dreamless sleep, and the real I was back Home.

Of course this begs the question, why do things change so painstakingly slow or even seem to regress at times? Maybe I'm a crappy or inexperienced programmer. Maybe I'll need to make major re-writes and try another simulation where my avatar thinks that it's in heaven awaiting reincarnation?

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic's myth