ASCSI Conference Life In The Afterlife
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why I am highly skeptical of "so called' psychics. (Sylvia Browne article)

This is why I am highly skeptical of "so called' psychics. (Sylvia Browne article)

It saddens me that phonies like Sylvia Browne continue to make money as psychics. I've never had much of a belief in psychics although I don't discredit some of them could be authentic. However, when I read articles like this which state that Ms. Browne told the mother of the recently found kidnapped lady, Amanda Berry, that her daughter was dead on a Montel talk show several years ago, which led the poor woman to be reduced to tears. I can completely understand why so many people hold little to no belief in psychics, myself included.

Now, I'm certain there are some on this board that believe some people do have psychic abilities, and I would never say it's not possible. However, one would have to agree that if the phenomenon is real that people like Sylvia make a mockery of it. I'm not knocking you if you believe in psychics as I'm certain some people have had some genuinely profound, and on target, readings. Perhaps Ms. Browne is just a poor example of a con artist posing as a psychic?

I am not personally sold on someone claiming to have psychic abilities, what say you, AL Forums? Is this phenomenon real or are these people just very good con artists? For the record, I'm sure this has been discussed in past posts but this article stoked me to check in again regarding it. Off my soap box now.

http://gma.yahoo.com/psychic-said-am...opstories.html
    Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
    ~ Andre Gide

If I was looking for a genuine psychic -- or a genuine anything else -- I think I would not start with the Montel Williams show.

This particular psychic has been discredited before. Under the circumstances, it was a pretty safe guess that Amanda was deceased. Ms. Brown should get out of the business of guessing about such high stakes matters.

Hi,
    I once went to see a psychic on stage at our local village hall. He was fairly well known and went on to become very famous. The first time I saw him I was genuinely impressed. He came down into the audience and spent the whole time giving good quality, long and detailed messages.
    When I went some years later you'd be forgiven for thinking it wasn't the same man. He was wearing sparkly clothing, the second half of the time was spent amusing the audience with silly trickery from a hypnotist and the messages given were hard to believe or obvious to anyone.
    I think somewhere between how he used to be and how he became he lost a lot of his abilities and possibly due to his ego, began to invent or stretch what he was picking up. By picking up I don't necessarily mean psychically. I think he was reading the clothes, body language and reactions.
    I would never go back to see him again. So sad to see his decline.

Firstly I don’t believe in psychic and all, but my friend and I went to a psychic and whatever she said to me that happened to me actually. So, I can’t say that all the psychics are there to make money.

We had a thread like this last year, and it led to the banning of one of the members as she kept on bashing Sylvia Browne. Well, that was one of the reasons why she got the boot.

I had to agree with her in principle though, that Sylvia Browne is a fraud. I used to watch her many times on the Montel show, and she seemed to "miss" on most of her predictions.

Another one that I think is full of shit (although Roberta is high on her) is Char Margolis.

I don't much care for John Edward either.

Gordon Brown caught my eye. He might be the real deal. I don't know.

My opinion is that when they start charging obscene fees they have "crossed over" to entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by WWE LOVER View Post
    We had a thread like this last year, and it led to the banning of one of the members as she kept on bashing Sylvia Browne. Well, that was one of the reasons why she got the boot.

I had to agree with her in principle though, that Sylvia Browne is a fraud. I used to watch her many times on the Montel show, and she seemed to "miss" on most of her predictions.

Another one that I think is full of shit (although Roberta is high on her) is Char Margolis.

I don't much care for John Edward either.

Gordon Brown caught my eye. He might be the real deal. I don't know.
    Gordon Smith? (Scottish)

Gordon Brown was our (UK) former chancellor and short-time prime minister....

I believe that anyone's best psychic is themselves. Listening to your gut, your instinct, your higher self, whatever you may call it, is the best way to make decisions in life, in my opinion. The best decision may or may not be the one that makes you happiest but I believe your soul knows that its growth is what is most important. I've had a few "psychic" moments. One time I had a dream that me and my husband were in the car and someone walked right in front of us in the road and he stopped just in time. It was dark outside. A couple of days later, that happened. Other times I've predicted if the phone will ring or what someone will wear, things like that. I think it is outrageous what Sylvia charges for readings-I think it is around $700. I agree with some things Sylvia says- but to me those are just guesses on her part (I'm referring to her spiritual beliefs-her predictions speak for themselves). What is discouraging about this particular case is no psychic seemed to step forward and know what happened to those girls. Or if they did-I don't know about it.
    Last edited by ilovelearninhg; 05-09-2013 at 12:55 PM.

There's a book called "the trickster and the paranormal" that goes into this in depth. Basically, some people have psychic abilities that are real, but this ability is not consistent. So they often resort to trickery when their abilities fail, especially once they get a taste of success and try to do anything they can to hold on to it. They are not frauds, just human. This is why so many Hindu teachers tell their students to ignore any psychic abilities they may attain through their practices, as it's a hindrance to true spiritual growth.

"The only thing success teaches is arrogance."
    -- danged if i remember who said this

Quote Originally Posted by vic smyth View Post
    "The only thing success teaches is arrogance."
    -- danged if i remember who said this
    Good quote regardless of the source.

It makes sense to me that one might have some psychic gifts, but it's a gift. Perhaps it gets better with practice, but some days you just don't "have it."

But when you monetize that and have to perform routinely on command, the pressure to "supplement" your actual gifts with guesses and cold reading skills would be very high, especially if you are at a point where you are in front of a large audience or on TV, and you can't really say, "I guess it wasn't my night."

I've seen a similar phenomenon with Christian ministers who become very successful, with enormous congregations and/or being on TV or radio. They start out sincerely enough, but when people tune in every day expecting to see spiritual drama and your wife's mascara running, you end up "performing" instead of ministering. Along with the money and fame there is the temptation of the power itself. Also, if I believe God (or Spirit, or whatever) speaks to me, I may end up not knowing the difference between the voice of God and my own dumb ideas.

Perhaps when Paul wrote "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" this is part of what he meant. He was the televangelist of his day, in a sense, so the temptations of influence over others would not have been unknown to him. And there is that passage from Proverbs: "Pride goeth before a fall, and sparkly clothes are a sign you are making an ass of yourself."